German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My boy is 8 years old and I don't think I can bear to lose him when that day comes. I think getting your pet taxidermied is a bit odd but have considered just getting his front paws stuffed.

Has anyone else done this? Am I being weird? I dunno, what can I say, I love my dogs.

I would appreciate any sincere replies.

·
Premium Member
7,904 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
I have the paw print, I don't think I want the actual paw.

·
Registered
31,701 Posts
No. I have to be honest, my first reaction was a lurch in my stomach. To me, that would be desecrating their body and I would no more do that than keep my child's foot.

How about you have his paw print put in a stone? Or keep some of this ashes in a locket?

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I have my Skada's ashes sealed in a nice wooden box with a nameplate on the front. It sits on a low shelf in the middle of the living room... At dog level, where the action is.

I don't think I could do paws ;) Even though I do love them an awful lot!

Eek!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
4,323 Posts
Yeah... I think for me it'd be like having a person's hand or something *shiver* I do have my previous dog's ashes in an urn. A friend has a locket with her dog's ashes in it, which I like the idea of, at least just to have. I tell my husband that when I die, I want him to mix my ashes with Echo's. He thinks I'm kidding.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Yeah. I don't think I'd ever taxidermy a pet, but having ashes around would be great.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just don't think I can bear to lose another pet. They are really the only close relationships I have. I really come apart and feel like driving off of a cliff when I think about my pets dying. I figured maybe having something part of him is better than nothing. And ironically, I think ashes are sort of gross but a dog paw isn't.

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
This is kind of creepy to me. What about saving the hair from when you brush him and have it spun and made into a pillow, teddy bear, or something else. There are several companies who do this.

I like the idea of the ashes in a locket and paw print in stone or other material. You could even have a necklace or tattoo made from the paw print pattern.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I don't understand the "creepy" remarks. I think eating a lot of different kinds of meat is creepy like Chinese people do. And pigs are super intelligent and emotional and loving creatures so its creepy to me how bacon is so beloved by people. Pigs probably are better than dogs as pets if you have a good relationship with the pig. I have heard from several sources that pigs are really cognizant that something very bad is going to happen to them in slaughterhouses.

I remember when I was a kid, rabbit's paws were considered lucky? I vaguely remember seeing keychains with paws attached. Maybe they were fake though.

·
Registered
31,701 Posts
I think with rabbit's paws, they were not personal. You wouldn't be the first person to stuff their pet. Like I said, to me that would be desecrating their bodies.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
I'd find that extremely strange.

I think getting a paw print picture or tattoo would be much more appropriate to me, IMO.

But, to each their own.

·
Registered
4,323 Posts
I don't understand the "creepy" remarks. I think eating a lot of different kinds of meat is creepy like Chinese people do. And pigs are super intelligent and emotional and loving creatures so its creepy to me how bacon is so beloved by people. Pigs probably are better than dogs as pets if you have a good relationship with the pig. I have heard from several sources that pigs are really cognizant that something very bad is going to happen to them in slaughterhouses.

I remember when I was a kid, rabbit's paws were considered lucky? I vaguely remember seeing keychains with paws attached. Maybe they were fake though.
Hey, you asked ;) I think at the end of the day, all that matters is what YOU think about it. If it brings comfort to you and is meaningful to you, then who cares what anyone else thinks. :)

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
Well those rabbits weren't someone's pets, just like you don't eat your pets, or skin them to wear their fur as a coat, or skin as leather.

That's what's creepy to me...

·
Registered
27,249 Posts
photo's, memories and a tuft of the fur are good for me...I have Clover's ashes with her photo and some of her fur tucked into her box. Clover was the first pet I've had cremated, and I'd rather bury them, but it was frozen ground when she passed.
I could never freeze dry or stuff any of my pets. I save the prettier feathers of my parrots as they molt them. That's as far as I go.

·
Registered
51 Posts
get the paw print tattoo with the dogs ashes in the ink. i think i may do this when my puppy dies in 25,000 years...

·
Registered
31,887 Posts
When we were little, my dad used to go hunting, and he would bring home rabbit and we would eat rabbit. Yes my dad cut the paws off, and he would let us have them. My mom would collect them and throw them away when we were not looking. Yuck!!!

But they were not pets. They were not something we named and lived with.

I guess I have to go with the idea being a bit creepy. And, if you literally contemplate suicide when you think of losing your furry friend, then maybe you need to talk to a counsellor, and they can help you work toward making meaningful human relationships, and how not to set yourself up for the terrible pits. Because dogs only live 10 years or so, so we are going to lose them. Some of them we lose a lot sooner than that. And if all our eggs are in that basket, we will be a basket-case when they go.

The answer is not to keep a bit of the their shell to remember them by. Take lots of pictures of your dog, and sometimes when I lose one, I will give myself some time to grieve, then I will go back and find a number of pictures that best captures their personality, and I will write a memorial and add the pictures. We have a section here for that.

On my mantle, I have two little engraved curved pieces of glass that say something like, In loving memory of Arwen, and the other was for Dubya. My vet sent them to me when I lost them. I have them next to each other and a small figurine of a sleeping German Shepherd Dog.

That, and pictures and memories of who they were is enough. But I had other dogs when they passed, and I will have other dogs when they pass. I expect I will probably have a dog or two when I pass. Somehow, I cannot picture life without a dog.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Make sure to research keeping ashes. I couldnt keep my cat with me when my husband and I were on orders, and so I sent her to my mom and she passed away before I could get her back (she was old and sick). Well I asked for her ashes, and my mom tried, but the place that cremated her would not allow my mom to claim them. They changed the rules/laws on that in some places. So my mom is compiling a picture book for me, but I really wish I had something else from her.

With Oscar, I will probably try to have a pewter paw print or something made. I even saw a necklace of a NOSE print, which I think is so cute. I love my dogs nose, I might have both done.

LO

1 - 20 of 89 Posts