German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not that I have much time to read, but I just got a book on CD called Marley and Me. It is about a behaviorally challenged lab that is loved by his family regardless of his persistent bad behaviors. If you have not had the chance to read it at least get it on CD and pass it along to ever dog lover you know.

Quote from book: "dog owners call it crating and doctors call it involuntary commitment when dealing with humans" LOL

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
I just picked up the book at the airport this week and read it in two sittings...blubbering in my seat at the last chapter.

It's a very sweet and moving book. I recommend it to anyone who's ever loved a dog.

No, the author and his wife aren't model dog owners--in fact, they do many things wrong, and probably contribute to Marley's many behavior issues. But that's not what the book is about. It's about the unconditional love they have for each other--Marley and his family--despite the challenges. It's also about all the things we can learn from a dog (even a very poorly behaved one).

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
This book was GREAT!!! I laughed so hard most of the way through it- as in many ways it reminded me of Vita before our training days and working with a behaviorist lol. BUT- the end I cried like a baby!!

·
Registered
233 Posts
I laughed and cried the whole way through the book. I had refused to buy it for a long time, because I knew this was a memoir of Marley, and I've gotten to the point where I'm refusing to watch a movie or read a book that will make me cry - even when I know it will be a good one.
But so glad that we finally got the book. My youngest started to read it first.
Wonderful book....

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
I read it. I loved it I never wanted to put the book down but just read it all at one time. Since I had homework to do and so forth it took me a few weeks to read it

I really lov ehow it explains things and so forth. Very good book!

·
Registered
6,271 Posts
Originally Posted By: Luca_stlI just picked up the book at the airport this week and read it in two sittings...blubbering in my seat at the last chapter.

It's a very sweet and moving book. I recommend it to anyone who's ever loved a dog.

No, the author and his wife aren't model dog owners--in fact, they do many things wrong, and probably contribute to Marley's many behavior issues. But that's not what the book is about. It's about the unconditional love they have for each other--Marley and his family--despite the challenges. It's also about all the things we can learn from a dog (even a very poorly behaved one).
Exactly! There was a lot of people that critized this book but you are right on.

I loved this book, balled like a baby.
I am kindof excited about the movie too, I love it when any dogs are in movies

·
Registered
27,249 Posts
When I adopted Kacie a year ago, the first thunderstorm that hit reminded me of Marley...was Kacie afraid of storms? She was an abandoned chained dog before rescue. She is afraid, but not to that extreme! Poor Marley...
I loved the book as well, can't wait to see how Luke and Jennifer portray the Grogan family.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Great book, read it long time ago.

Laughed and cried. Worth the read.

·
Registered
31,887 Posts
I found the owners a little hard to take. Oh we have to get a puppy because we do not know how to be responsible enough to have children -- uhg! it was a bit mushy in the beginning.

But, I must say that it shows the committment they had with this dog through thunderstorms and kids, etc.

And yes, I bawled at the end too. The dog lived to a ripe old age and all, but the book did a very good job of getting the reader to feel like they knew the dog. And also to understand the choices we all will face at some point.

I think that it is a pretty good book, and gave it to my sister to read.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
This book has been sitting on my nightstand for a year now and I haven't even opened it.

I heard great reviews about it so I bought it with intention to read.

I'll get around to it one day! It sounds great!

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
I cheated at the book store by reading the last chapter so now I have to read the rest.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
I'm one of the few with a negative opinion - the irresponsibility of the owners just turned me off. Yes, they loved this dog, but not taking the time to train him contributed to all the problems.

Marley -

Marley's family -

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Originally Posted By: Skye'sMomI'm one of the few with a negative opinion - the irresponsibility of the owners just turned me off. Yes, they loved this dog, but not taking the time to train him contributed to all the problems.

Marley -

Marley's family -
I have to agree. However, it is very readable book and the ending moved me to tears as well. I harshly criticised it initially but seen through Tracy's eyes, I can see his point of view.

Despite it not being a training book, I would hope that no person would read this book ever thinking it was a "how to" on having or raising a dog. There is no doubt many people would not be patient enough to keep a dog like Marley but then feel justified in treating their next and then ... their next dog in the same way, if they did think that this book justified their (non)actions. I think potential misuse of the book and the time/s when Marley could have been "got rid of" is why I felt so negative about the book.

·
Banned
2,415 Posts
I read the book and it is my second favorite, in part because it gets away from so many of the training books, which it best tend to contradict each other. And the way this guy care for the dog is amazing. Obviusly most of us cannot afford to give our dog the freedom Merle had. But we can provide a bit more.

I read another book which some on this board liked. I burned the book, but is was written by a John something, and in my mind a John nobody, he killed his Collie because the dog bit a person, neither the author or the dog liked. On fortunately, I can't name the author because the book has long ago been burned in my fireplace. But some of you who I am referring to.

My first favorite is a book called "If A Dog's Prayers Were Answered Bones would Rain From the Sky."

Some say it is not a training book, but I disagree because if you follow the attitudes expressed in this book, you and your dog will have a much better relationship.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Quote:I read the book and it is my second favorite, in part because it gets away from so many of the training books, which it best tend to contradict each other. And the way this guy care for the dog is amazing. Obviusly most of us cannot afford to give our dog the freedom Merle had. But we can provide a bit more.
Timber1, I think you are confusing Marley and Me (the OPs book) with 'Merle's Door'. 'Merle's Door' was a fantastic book and a favorite of mine, also.

"Bones' is more a behavioral book and also one that should be on everyone's book shelf. I refer to my copy often.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well after 3 attempts I finished the CD this morning on my way to work. DUMB, DUMB, DUMB!!! I had to tell everyone at my meeting that my eyes were swollen and my nose red due to allergies. I know that the owners did things wrong but who hasn't? I know that I will make mistakes with CJ and learn from them but the part that I took from the story was the loyalty of Marley to his owners even when they did make mistakes. But even when Marley didn't fit into the new "rich" environment the owners didn't mind nor did Marley. To the credit of the owners though, I have seen people get rid of, dump off and kill animals for less than Marley did behaviorally even when it is the owner's fault.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts