German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In light of another thread with a young GSD being diagnosed with cancer, I was wondering if anyone has done this test or even heard of it? I might have even pulled the link from here a while ago, I don't remember. I'm considering doing this for my own peace of mind.

Veterinary Diagnostics Institute

·
Super Moderator
32,336 Posts
Yes, Keefer contributed to the test. :) Quite a few dogs on the board did too. They sent out sample kits upon request, and you just had to take it to your vet, who would do the blood draw and then send it off per their instructions. In fact, I just got a followup letter yesterday that I need to send back to them. They've called me a couple of times to see if Keef was still doing well.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For those who answered, were tests given to dogs that had known cancer and dogs that were healthy? Can I still get this test? It said something about 10 of the things you put the blood coming in a test kit?? It also said it cost $120.00 for the kit, I really don't mind spending the money, just need to know if I need 3 kits or if 1 will do for all three dogs? How much did the vets charge to just draw the blood?

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
Yes Cyra and Beau both participated in late 2011

Cyra was high, then dropped a little ..... but always over and died in April 2012...HS

Grim was normal in 2011, then in Feb of this year he developed a tumor, I had an extra kit (to have been Cyra's last) and asked them if they wanted a sample. They did, it was high, and he died this month from hemangiosarcoma

We think that maybe Cyra's second level dropped due to preparation issues with the sample. Management of the sample EXACTLY per the directions is critical for success and needs to be stressed with the veterinarian.

Wow $120 per kit. I would think you could send samples from three dogs in one kit and ask if the price could be different because a lot of the cost is tied up in Fed Ex overnight and the box. You would only need one box and the samples you send are small. When I did the test, I pre-froze the gel bricks they send and made sure I went to the vet on a day they specified ......... But I am not sure if they are willing to break it out that way. Also realize hemangio is a fast growing cancer so missing it one year may not mean anything for the next. I figure it is something I will ask to be done if I suspect cancer but.......as a preventive screening? Not sure as it is not specific to type and not sure what you would do with the results other than worry. I think its main value is used as a follow up for cancer status of dogs who have had cancer surgery or treatment to see status of remission.

·
Super Moderator
32,336 Posts
For those who answered, were tests given to dogs that had known cancer and dogs that were healthy?
Yes, when the test was being developed they wanted a sampling of the canine population, and I assume that most of the dogs included did not have any cancer symptoms and were assumed healthy. It was free to participate in the study, so I didn't pay anything for the test. The only requirements were age - Keefer fell within the study group and Halo did not, so I was only able to test him.

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
Same here, it was breed and age / free study participants. .... went through the same thing. Cyra died about 4 months after the test, and Grim about 16 months (even though he results were very negative at the time of the test)

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Skye was part of this test. I received a follow up last week saying the results were going to published soon and they were doing a last check first. I mailed her info back last week.

They just wanted to know if they were alive, healthy and still on the same foods and supplements as first reported.

It was free with VDI and my vet did not charge to draw or mail the blood in the package VDI provided.

My understanding is that this study was looking at particluar enzyme levels as they relate to the occurence of cancer in GSDs. I believe that is the VDI-TK test they have on the page you linked.

I had no idea they were selling kits or that they would be that expensive. I am not finding the cost you mentioned. Is that the price your vet quoted to you?

They do still have this up asking for participants, but if they are ready to publish it may no longer be valid. Won't hurt to ask.

Veterinary Diagnostics Institute

1 - 9 of 9 Posts