German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've a 9 week puppy that has become a bit fussy about eating. He did come to us with Coccidia from the breeder's kennel and he was been on medication for the same till last week. His stools, etc are all normal again. While on medication, we took to feeding him home cooked meals instead of his kibbles and now we are reintroducing the kibbles back.
So, to wean him off I've been mixing kibbles with the home cooked food for the past 2/3 days and he doesnt eat his fill. He just eats the home cooked food part and leaves the kibbles.
Yesterday he nearly starved himself. Didn't eat the mix all morning, so I stood firm and refused to give in and add more of the home cooked food. Finally in the evening he was so hungry that he ate the kibble/home cooked mix that I put in the plate.
But 2 minutes after eating..he just threw up ....everything !!

His stools are little soft, and he hasn't thrown up since. All his other activities are fine. My friend tells me that she's seen where a hungry dog will eat so fast (without chewing) to the extent where they just throw up.
Anyone else have any experience like this ? I'll be taking him to the vet early next week for his 3rd shots..but just wanted to see if this sounds serious enough to warrant a visit before that.

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
Wait him out he will eat kibble again it might take a couple days but he will eat. Try adding water to his kibble maybe even a Tbl. spoon of yogurt.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
There's a difference between regurgitation and vomit- the regurgitation comes right back up, the food is in it's original form, maybe a little puffed up. Vomit means it's been digested. If he's regurgitated it's most likely because he ate too fast. Plus there's the aggravating factor of the coccidia and meds. There are several ways to slow down gulping, you might want to feed him out of your hand, use small amounts of his meal as a training treat, have him search around the kitchen for little piles of kibble. Like LisaT says, don't take the bait and get in the picky eater trap

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Getting the diet right when they are young can fend off a lot of problems down the road.

What are you feeding?
The Breeder had him on Eagle Pack. So we were continued with that for the first few days and then switched him to home cooked chicken (breast, organ meat, eggs, carrots, white rice, wheat germs) which he loves a lot. But we are eventually planning to switch him to Acana long term.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wait him out he will eat kibble again it might take a couple days but he will eat. Try adding water to his kibble maybe even a Tbl. spoon of yogurt.
Yes that's exactly what we tried some warm water in his kibbles with Yogurt. he loves Yogurt !!

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There's a difference between regurgitation and vomit- the regurgitation comes right back up, the food is in it's original form, maybe a little puffed up. Vomit means it's been digested. If he's regurgitated it's most likely because he ate too fast. Plus there's the aggravating factor of the coccidia and meds. There are several ways to slow down gulping, you might want to feed him out of your hand, use small amounts of his meal as a training treat, have him search around the kitchen for little piles of kibble. Like LisaT says, don't take the bait and get in the picky eater trap
Yes the food was pretty much all intact since he threw it up within 2 minutes of eating. It definitely wasn't digested and didn't smell at all. I'll try to slow it down a little .Thanks for the inputs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts