German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
that shepherds tend to not like retrievers?

If true, what might be the reason?

·
Registered
5,258 Posts
Absolute horse hockey! No truth to that statement at all.

Reactions: Rabidwolfie

·
Super Moderator
9,213 Posts
golden retrievers? flat coat retrievers? labrador retrievers? chesapeake bay retrievers? curly coated retrievers?

...guess it doesn’t matter, the statement is pretty ridiculous.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I'll have to consult with Sgt. Orphan Heidi, the official Dog Park Police woman. She's had dealings with 98% of all breeds, and is quite opinionated. She won't mince growls.

·
Registered
918 Posts
sounds more like the phrase got discombobulated along the telephone game - it's, 'German Shepherds are not retrievers' . You threw the stupid ball away, you want it now, you go get it stupid human.

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Tessa hated seeing a Golden on walks but never told me why.

Reactions: Cigar

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
I have heard it said before. It’s not something I believe but I don’t see hundreds of shepherd interacting with hundreds of retriever so I don’t have a lot objective experience to base it on.

·
Registered
7,321 Posts
That is the wrong way to ask the question. My male doesn’t like other dogs who are relentlessly in his face. As a puppy, he played with a few Labs and Goldens at a day care and hid from them under a bench. After that, he didn’t want to go back to daycare and refused to cross the threshold to get inside, so I stopped taking him. I don’t think it’s the breeds he minded but their play style.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Nope. In my experience it's the Goldens not liking my Shepherds. Only had 3 semi-serious dog attacks which all involved Goldens- an unleashed old Golden attacked my first GSD 25 years; about 5 years ago a neighbor's young adukt male lunged at Storm (not GSD but still a Shepherd), got some of her coat as we walked by and almost met Jesus when she responded; and last summer one (adult) Golden pulled a kid across the parking lot to get Wrigley (5 months). Wrigley defended himself and his boy while the Golden got a kick in the head/body via my boot and the mother got choice words.

Reactions: herojig

·
Registered
Krypto, Hiro and now Bernie who is a Golden Saint rescue
147 Posts
that shepherds tend to not like retrievers?

If true, what might be the reason?

My GSD / Retriever story is well documented on this site, but in short, my GSD considers his younger step-brother Bernie (a golden saint) dumb and a loud mouth. You can see it in his body language here:

So perhaps that's it... mature GSDs know better, and retrievers never grow up?

·
Registered
Krypto, Hiro and now Bernie who is a Golden Saint rescue
147 Posts
Nope. In my experience it's the Goldens not liking my Shepherds. Only had 3 semi-serious dog attacks which all involved Goldens- an unleashed old Golden attacked my first GSD 25 years; about 5 years ago a neighbor's young adukt male lunged at Storm (not GSD but still a Shepherd), got some of her coat as we walked by and almost met Jesus when she responded; and last summer one (adult) Golden pulled a kid across the parking lot to get Wrigley (5 months). Wrigley defended himself and his boy while the Golden got a kick in the head/body via my boot and the mother got choice words.
Ha, when Bernie first met Hiro, he latched onto my older GSDs neck with a death grip. It took three of us to get them apart. A week later they were besties, and just this morning I saw the golden licking the crud outta the gsd's eyes... so sweet.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts