German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
started toileting in the car while going somewhere even though they are toilet trained?

My 6mo male pup has just started to occasionally poop in the back of the truck (thankfully a ute with a canopy so he isn't in the actual cab with me and i can just hose it out!) but it seems to maybe be a nervous/excited thing?

He whines and cries the whole way to where ever we are going and always has done since he was little and im not sure if he is nervous or excited (probably both) and has now a few times pooped in the back.

He toilets on command so is ALWAYS made to go toilet before we go anywhere and we often don't have an issue but lately he has done it twice in a week... he never toilets inside the house or in his crate etc and he knows the back of the ute is NOT for toileting. Even if he poops before we go out he has still done it in the back... Even if i pull over and let him out to toilet if he needs to he may force a tiny pee out on command but won't poop or act like he needs too.

Any tips or experiences would be appreciated as its getting frustrating... he knows he's done wrong too as he looks guilty when i open the back.

Im trying to stay calm about it and remember he is still a pup but its frustrating when he DOES know where he can and can't toilet...

·
Registered
32 Posts
How well do you clean after he left his "present" in the back? He may be associating the back of your vehicle as an ok place to poop. Cleaning with deodorizer just like when house training is important so there isn't any association of appropriate places to poop.

Richter was rather car scared when I first got him, he hated car rides to the point where he would only sit in my lap and he vomited in the back seat once.

So we started with getting in and out of the car, then getting in and then starting the car and leaving the radio on and generally conditioning him to car sounds. Then we went on short rides less than 10 minutes around, then highway and added duration. Lately hes been doing well and no issues.

Sounds like your guy might have some anxiety as well. Best of luck!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hose the back and scrub with a disinfectant before hosing again and allowing to dry.

He seems to enjoy the car, he happily gets in the back with his tail wagging and seems happy enough but i agree he could have a touch of anxiety as well once we are actually on our way...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts