German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My GSD is 6 months old. A vet taped his ears. After a week, they are just half way up. I am desperate. I don't want to put him through the tape deal again. He did not like it at all.

I have read about ear implants. Has anyone out there gotten this done to their GSD? How can I go about finding a local vet who does that even if they are 100+ miles away?

·
Registered
6,659 Posts
I've never heard of it (although I'm sure its out there) but I'd say if you didn't want to put him through tapeing again, you likely would not want to put him through the discomfort/pain of implants. Love him just the way he is. They are all unique and different.

·
Registered
7,466 Posts
no dr. 90210 for your dog...please, please, no "ear implants"! no reputable breeder, vet, dog owner or lover, would go along with the idea of asthetic ear implants for a german shepherd dog. i'm not understanding why you are desperate??? can you imagine how absolutely weird your dog would look (not to mention how terrible he would feel), if his ears were permanently up. please reconsider wanting to do this to your puppy. seriously. please.

·
Registered
14,509 Posts
Quote:if his ears were permanently up.
Dante has so many ear postions and they go with expression and communication, can't imagine not having that.

I can understand the OPs desire to have both ears standing, I was the same way when Dante was in the floppy/up/down/etc stage until one day I realized it wasn't going to make a difference in our relationship

Dante still has a "Friendly" ear, his right tip is soft

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Please understand. Ear implants for my first GSD is not something I always dreamed about. However, it's impossible for all your GSD owners out there to know how sad one feels when your own GDS's ears won't come up.

I see all the pics in here of all your GSD's ears up and just kills me to see my own's down. If yours had the same problem, you would understand. I have read it's a very simple process which takes little time. If there's a person who wouldn't hurt their puppy is me, trust me. I am so devoted to this GSD...you have no idea. He has taken over my like and I love it. I just want him to look his best, because he deserves it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
You can try ear forms from Germany. They just glue in the ear, they are comfortable because they don't disrupt oxygen flow into the ear and you can insert them yourself. My breeder sells these and they worked very well for my pup. He's 7 mos. old now and his ears are straight up and beautiful. If you want the breeder information please PM me.

·
The Italian One
8,729 Posts
Originally Posted By: french
I see all the pics in here of all your GSD's ears up and just kills me to see my own's down. If yours had the same problem, you would understand. I have read it's a very simple process which takes little time. If there's a person who wouldn't hurt their puppy is me, trust me. I am so devoted to this GSD...you have no idea. He has taken over my like and I love it. I just want him to look his best, because he deserves it.
Mine does have the same “problem” (if you want to call it that, I don’t) and I can’t say I understand. There's many of us who's GSD's ears have never stood. Here’s a thread for you to look at ----> The floppy-ear fan club
My Dalton's ears are floppy and believe me, I would never have a cosmetic surgery that is not guaranteed to make his ears stand done on him. He doesn't care if his ears are up, why should I? There is no health risks to him having floppy ears so it would only be done for me - not him. It won’t make him a different or better dog.

·
Registered
7,466 Posts
general anesthesia is never totally safe and accidents happen more often than you think. my dear dakota (rip) developed grand mal seizures from an anoxic brain injury acquired during neuter surgery. please think twice before you risk your boy's health for vanity reasons.

·
Registered
9,348 Posts
French, we have a HUGE amount of owners here who have GSDs with ears that do not stand. Look at the link Vinnie posted-- see how many of our dgs have floppy ears? That is just a small sample from our forum population of beautiful, loved, strong, smart, handsome flop-eared GSDs here. The pain of having those implants in-- if you could find a vet willing enough to do that to the poor dog-- would make you cry as much as the dog would.

Is he happy, friendly, sweet? Then you DO have a 'perfect' GSD! Having those implants are only for people who kennel their dogs to avoid hearing the pain and agony those dogs endure after going through this surgery and then trying to live with something foreign stretching the wounds of their ear skin.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Originally Posted By: french However, it's impossible for all your GSD owners out there to know how sad one feels when your own GDS's ears won't come up.
<span style="color: #FF0000">We do know how it feels to have a pup whose ears don't stand.</span>
If yours had the same problem, you would understand.
<span style="color: #FF0000">Many of us have the same problem and don't understand why you would want to do this.</span>
I am so devoted to this GSD...you have no idea. He has taken over my like and I love it. I just want him to look his best, because he deserves it.
<span style="color: #FF0000">If you are so DEVOTED then why do you have to try and make him "look" perfect? If you love him why can't you love him with his ears a little floppy? He is perfect exactly how he is, ears up or not.</span>

·
Super Moderator
7,370 Posts
in my opinion 6months is still pretty early to give up on your pup. i got my girl at almost 9 months and one of her ears was still tee'peed over to the other. in a month (10 months) they were straight up. another female i had had one up one down but when she ran, played, barked, was on alert she pulled it up.

the phrase "deserves to look his best" baffles me. he deserves to have full function and feeling and expression thru his ears. its a different issue than docking or cropping - an implant will always feel foreign.

·
Registered
7,466 Posts
doesn't baffle me, i get it...and think it's just a question of who really thinks who deserves what. clearly what the dog deserves is not being well thought out or considered...and here is where i would insert an icon with tape over my mouth if i had one.

but i will say, again, please do not do this to your dog. be patient, gsd ears have a timetable all their own. and take a page out of your dog's book...he will give you undying love and loyalty no matter how YOU look. what he deserves is the same (and "full function and feeling and expression thru his ears").

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Djibouti's ears are looking pretty good. I expect them to be strong, noble, erect GSD ears & if I'm wrong...OoohWelllll. I just hope to be lucky enough to be seeing those ears for 15 healthy yrs or more...

His littermates ears were much more 'up' at 8wks than his so I wasn't certain, but his personality just 'spoke' to me in a way I couldn't resist.

My beloved Gonzo, a Norwegian Forest Cat had gorgeous ears...tall, erect, with great ear furnishings. He developed a hemotoma in one ear requiring surgery & it healed in a crinkled, shriveled way that left him with a puny, thick ear. The other ear developed a hematoma. The vet stitched a form to the ear to (hopefully)help it heal properly. It's not crinkled, but it's terminally bent sooo he has 1 shriveled ear & 1 flopped ear. Everytime I look at those ears I have to smile. I love him so, & looking at those goofy damned ears I know it's not just his purrrty face I'm crazy about.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I should have known I was going to get this bombarded with criticiscm.

Like I said, I don't like the idea of ear implants. It's not my first choice in life.

Would you all recommend taping for a 2nd time if the first taping did "half" the job? Or would you all just leave it alone and let it be? I am willing to bet what your answers will be, but I will give you all the benefit of the doubt. Thanks anyway for your help/contructive criticism.

·
Registered
9,348 Posts
Instead of taping them, why not try the Breathe-Right strips? LOTS of us have had success with those. You make an 'X' with them inside the cone of the ear.

Find a vet experienced in glueing ears- How? Contact a local German Shepherd Dog Club... these guys have SHOWDOGS.. thes will know *the* vet in your area who can help do this correctly and safely.

Other things to do: Glue instead of tape. Get a collossal foam roller, and some of the glue mentioned in the ears-standing threads... and walk your dog. Alot. Lots of walks. What dog can fiddle with the foam roller in his ear when he is busy walking? Yup-- walk that dog the MINUTE you are done inserting it.

Most important: Also, try taking your dog off property.... a LOT. Let him strain to hear and see lots of cool stuff. Who's that doggy walking over there? Is that a baystroller across the park? Does he hear a shopping cart rattling across pavement at the Shop-N-Save? Let him WORKS those ears. Every day. This means-- you will be outside a LOT. An hour at a time, each time, in totally new, busy places. This helps with socialization, too.

Your dog is young enough that the ear CAN still come up! Post pics.. let us see what you are so worried about. Some of us have had dogs have ears stiffen and come up after a year!

Be glad, however, that you got such a strong response from this board against implants. Thankfully, that means nobody here would put a dog through that pain. That means, all the suggestions you will get here will be safe for your dog. Good deal, huh?

6 months is too soon to worry. Your dog has just finished teething. The ears may never come up, but, get busy going to stimulating places that he wants to listen and perk his ears up. Find the vet the show folks love best for ears. Feed a raw diet if at all possible. Good luck! If the ears never come up, you will have a dog with a wonderful, sweet expression. But, at 6 months, I would work that ear at new places.. and not worry. Your dog just finished teething.

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
Nutrition sometimes plays a factor. Teething definitely. I used Knox gelatin on one foster who ended up having big up bunny ears. Were either of his parents softish in the ear-does that matter? I think he's the black dog in the swimming poop in the photo contest this month? He's gorgeous.

Bella wants mammary chain implants but I told her if anyone is getting plastic surgery here, it's me.
I think it would be really difficult for a dog to deal with an implant in an area that is meant to be so flexible. What studies have been done to determine long term impact due to materials, inability of the dog to protect against flies, bugs, materials flying, possible allergies, etc? Picturing the Joan Rivers of dogs-perpetually surprised!

http://www.4gsd.net/earsup.html good info.

OMG-did you ever hear of the ear implants they do with cows???? Whoa-something to google!

·
Registered
7,466 Posts
so many good suggestions here. so many. french, every single answer to your question on this thread is based on putting your dog's welfare and comfort first. although you may consider this criticism, it is also a fact.

welfare...comfort...appearance. i believe (as do most others here), that an animal's welfare and comfort are paramount, and anything an owner does to that animal which sacrifices that welfare or comfort is not in the dog's best interest. and all surgery is dangerous, can be botched, can create so many more problems than you began with.

please reconsider subjecting your dog to surgery for vanity reasons. please take a moment and imagine how you would feel if something went wrong, you might never forgive yourself.

i hope you will reconsider.

·
Registered
9,348 Posts
Jean-- 'swimming POOP??`
Just can't get away from that topic, can we??

1 - 20 of 52 Posts