1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
https://pets1st.com/

Any information would be appreciated.

Perhaps you have an opinion

I have been working very hard to find a LID for my GSD and PETS 1ST CAME ON MY RADAR ...not much information except from manufacturer.

These are other kibble of interest if anyone has a comment. thank you for your help & time.

INSTINCT

HORIZON PULSAR

HOLISTIC HEALTH EXTENSION

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
Malibu, can you tell us more about the food allergy that you're dealing with for your dog? Since that is the reason why people feed LIDs, knowing what your dog is allergic to may help us brainstorm things that might work for your dog. Several of us have dogs with major restrictions that have pretty to eat non-kibble diets.

I've never heard of Pets 1st. It looks like the turkey and salmon formulas have a lot of chickpeas AND peas, and the "Superfood" has Potatoes, Peas, Lentil beans, Chickpeas, and Pea fiber. It does have added taurine, at least. It pretty well falls into the "suspect bunch" of grain-free foods right now per our "FDA Warning" thread about DCM. It might be okay, but until the research materializes on what's going on with those foods, exercise caution.

The sparse info about the manufacturer makes me wonder if it's a "contract food" -- there are lots of companies that are merely marketers that hire someone else to make a food for them. If you look on their page about their family, there's no pet food expertise, no nutritionist or vet. It's just a guy who decided to retire and start a second career selling pet food.

·
Registered
10,810 Posts
I've never heard of Pets 1st. It looks like the turkey and salmon formulas have a lot of chickpeas AND peas, and the "Superfood" has Potatoes, Peas, Lentil beans, Chickpeas, and Pea fiber. It does have added taurine, at least. It pretty well falls into the "suspect bunch" of grain-free foods right now per our "FDA Warning" thread about DCM. It might be okay, but until the research materializes on what's going on with those foods, exercise caution.
One of the few brands that have taurine in it is Royal Canine GSD (!). I am sure that the re-thinking of 'grainfree' has sent a shock wave through the dog food companies. I have decided to mix the grain free kibble (for their AM meals) with grain content kibble as a compromise to have more options. It always comes down to the fact that whatever you feed in moderation is OK, like with our diets.

·
Premium Member
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
At this point in time I have not had any testing done for allergies. All I know is my girl was dx. with colitis @ a very young age. 1.5 years old and I have been on a quest ever since. I have fed 10 different foods thus far and I am still searching. The instinct seems to be ok but I am looking for another because I like the idea of mixing 2 foods together. Giving her a seafood with an animal protein together and to just be able to mix things up.

As of today I have just realized she may be allergic to sea food because the 2nd food choice I have incorporated into her diet was Zignature seafood and she has started itching a little bit. Her issues have only been itching over the last couple years but of course I don't want to see her itch at all. She is 5 years old now. I have talked about getting her testing since I have now read about a test they can do but it still seems to be about 50-50 wether it really works.

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
One of the few brands that have taurine in it is Royal Canine GSD (!)

Fromm does too. Oddly a small number of dogs have come up low on it anyway....but none that are fed rotationally, and their Four Star is one of the few foods designed to be fed rotationally (buy a bag of duck this month, salmon next month, chicken after that -- all without transitioning).

·
Premium Member
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Fromm does too. Oddly a small number of dogs have come up low on it anyway....but none that are fed rotationally, and their Four Star is one of the few foods designed to be fed rotationally (buy a bag of duck this month, salmon next month, chicken after that -- all without transitioning).
I am sorry but I am unfamiliar with taurine... Royal Canin does not score well at all on dogfoodadviser..

I fed Fromms and would love to feed from being from Wisconsin and family owned plus a very good kibble. I did not feed the four star.. perhaps I should give it a try. and concern myself more with the probiotics I will be giving once my kefir is ready like Carmspack mentioned.

thanks for your time everyone..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts