German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a scare last night. At around 4AM, Newlie started barking, jumped off the bed and ran to the bedroom door which I always keep closed. It wasn't his typical, "I hear another dog barking, Mom, let me go see about it" bark, it was a "I want to kill you" bark. I turned on the bedroom light, grabbed the gun and the phone and was getting ready to dial when I heard the sound that a chain link fence makes when somebody is jumping over it. After a couple of minutes, Newlie came back over and laid down, but needless to say, I couldn't go back to sleep. I probably should have called somebody..My neighbor has told me a number of times before to call, day or night, but you hate to wake somebody up at 4 o'clock in the morning and I am reluctant to call the police for fear that I might need them more another time and then they might think I am a crank.

It's going to be a long day today.

·
Super Moderator
5,873 Posts
Good boy Newlie!I think you should have called the police.The person may even have been running from the police through people's yards.Or maybe looking for a place to rob.I don't think they would mind sending a car over to patrol the area.

·
Registered
5,520 Posts
Good dog!!! It's stunning when our loving, sweet housedogs show us that they really have a different "I mean business" sound when they perceive a real threat.

It's worth going by the police station to make a report, just so there's a record that someone has been lurking in your property. There's no telling who the police may be looking for that does that sort of thing, but it could be a datapoint that helps them realize someone is active in the area that they've been looking for.

Let all your neighbors know too -- the perp may try a different house without a dog, but the chance of catching him is higher if everyone collectively is looking out for him. See if you can get your neighbors all to join a site called Nextdoor Neighbor (nextdoor.com) -- it can create a local "neighborhood forum" where everyone can post anything going on, and it's a great way to track crime in real time. We know the instant someone sketchy shows up ringing doorbells pretending to sell fake products to see who's home and who isn't -- because people start posting, sometimes with pictures, tracking his progress, while waiting for the police, often with a description of the car and license plate. That kind of engagement makes a neighborhood very inhospitable to criminals. (I think once you set it up, you can send out electronic invites to everyone whose email address you have in the neighborhood, and they can then invite others that they know, and so on. It's usually done by a HOA, but I think anyone can do it.)

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My neighborhood is generally safe, but there does seem like there has been a flurry of suspicious or criminal activity around the area lately, some of it on the news and some just stories you hear. A lady I work with told me that her mother-in-law lives in the same area I do and had a similar experience recently.

·
Premium Member
7,820 Posts
Good Job Newlie. I understand you not wanting to call the poice but it could help them find out whats going on in your neighborhood. Glad you have your Newlie alarm system.

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
Good boy, Newlie!!! I'm glad he did his job and kept you safe! He has earned a juicy steak!!!

·
Registered
485 Posts
Glad you are safe! What a good pup (and alarm!) to keep you safe! Steaks for everyone!!

·
Banned
4,417 Posts
I would call too. Things can get crazy with theives during the holidays. If police are tracking a pattern they appreciate the additional information.

As far as the "experience" you just had with your dog. I believe it is positive. My scare of a similar nature a couple of months ago made me realize that my dog was hyper vigilant to the noises going on outside but ALSO TO ME. They "read" you and see your reaction and concern too. It's training in a real situation and invaluable IMO.

Since my experience,I have set up leash and collar sets at front and back doors and also inside the shop door out back. Where ever I exit if this happens she will be right beside me and under my control. If someone is trying to break in the back door I will exit the front with my dog. I hate the thought of getting away while I'm calling the police and having her stay inside to confront the bad guy. I want her with me.

·
Registered
980 Posts
My neighbor has told me a number of times before to call, day or night, but you hate to wake somebody up at 4 o'clock in the morning and I am reluctant to call the police for fear that I might need them more another time and then they might think I am a crank.
Well done Newlie!

I would absolutely call and make a report. This may have been a thief simply scoping out your property, and if he liked what he saw, he may "sit" on your house and sneak in when he knows you're both away. Or he may come in when you are gone and Newlie is home, and harm the dog. Or he can throw a poisoned steak over the fence. Hate to bring paranoia to your life, but this was a close call and you don't want to deal with another one. Take whatever preventative measures you can. Any additional police attention to your neighbourhood will be a good thing.

I would have also called your neighbour. The would-be thief could have hopped the fence and hidden in their property - you want your neighbours to be alert. I'm sure they'll appreciate being given a heads up. Neighbours looking out for each other is a great deterrent.

I'd also suggest installing some flood lights connected to motion sensors ASAP.

Also, I once read an "interview" with an ex-professional-thief on Reddit. He said the very best deterrent was thorny bushes planted in front of windows and fences. Something to think about for longer-term.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Nice job. I would not only report it, I would also watch the yard area to make sure that nothing with poison is put there to get rid of the threat(Newlie). People are just crazy today and if they want something, who knows what they will do to get it.

·
Registered
7,149 Posts
Good job Newlie! I'd of called the neighbors, it wouldn't bother me to be woken up, though weekdays I'm up for work at 345am. I'd reported it too, like others have mentioned police can use the info to help catch them or provide more patrols based on patterns.

·
Registered
7,260 Posts
Good boy newlie. I noticed many different level of barks and know that other level of there is something out there bark-it is not to be under estimated. A call to the police and having them check everything out would be an additional deterrent.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Wouldn't worry about being a nag. It's what you pay for and why they are there. You don't want to implicate your neighbor in a situation like that. It could end badly for them as well as yourself. You should still give the police a call and have a report filed. At the same time they are there, they should be able to ask them to identify weak points in your home security. It would be better to keep others out so you and your dog are safe. Does this happen regularly? It seems that way by worrying about being a nag.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, it's embarrassing to admit, but I may have been mistaken. I was so rattled by the whole incident that it wasn't until I talked to my neighbor afterward that he kind of talked me down. First, there was no mistaking Newlie's behavior, he definitely heard something he didn't like. I don't know about the fence sound, maybe it was some sort of critter that made the fence rattle. The thing that makes me think I was mistaken is that the fence I heard rattle is next to my neighbor's yard and he has a dog, too, a lab mix. If someone jumped that fence, why didn't his dog bark? My neighbor says he thinks what happened was that the paperboy made some sort of noise that Newlie heard and that's what caused his reaction. The neighbor gets up at 5AM and says that the paper is always there so the timing sounds right. Of course, both Newlie and I were awakened out of a sound sleep, so our adrenalin went into overdrive.

No, jafo220, I have not called the police yet although I was very close the other night. I just hate to take them away from what might be more critical situations because I am scared.

Thanks for all the support, everybody. I am still glad to know that Newlie has my back.

·
Registered
980 Posts
I just hate to take them away from what might be more critical situations because I am scared.
They always prioritize their responses depending on the importance of the call received. Based on what you've written, unless they've got a very slow night, I'd guess you wouldn't see a cop for at least an hour after making that call. You'll never take them away from something more important unless you blatantly lie and massively over-exaggerate the situation.

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
Well, it's embarrassing to admit, but I may have been mistaken. I was so rattled by the whole incident that it wasn't until I talked to my neighbor afterward that he kind of talked me down. First, there was no mistaking Newlie's behavior, he definitely heard something he didn't like. I don't know about the fence sound, maybe it was some sort of critter that made the fence rattle. The thing that makes me think I was mistaken is that the fence I heard rattle is next to my neighbor's yard and he has a dog, too, a lab mix. If someone jumped that fence, why didn't his dog bark? My neighbor says he thinks what happened was that the paperboy made some sort of noise that Newlie heard and that's what caused his reaction. The neighbor gets up at 5AM and says that the paper is always there so the timing sounds right. Of course, both Newlie and I were awakened out of a sound sleep, so our adrenalin went into overdrive.

No, jafo220, I have not called the police yet although I was very close the other night. I just hate to take them away from what might be more critical situations because I am scared.

Thanks for all the support, everybody. I am still glad to know that Newlie has my back.
I was awakened in the middle of the night to Sabi standing over me on the bed, snarling at the door once. I grabbed the phone called 911 and told them I was alone and the dog was growling at my bedroom door.
They were there in minutes, I was advised to stay put and stay on the phone. They were very sweet, and although it appeared that I had simply forgotten to lock the door and the wind blew it open, they checked the whole house and praised Sabi for being a good dog. One of the officers told me they would rather respond to a hundred false alarms then not get a call on one real one.
As they were leaving I pointed to a glove laying on the stairs and said one of them had dropped one. They both had theirs.
Someone was in my house and on their way upstairs to my room, in spite of the wallet laying on the table and the electronics in the living room.
All my neighbors had dogs and all were home. No one heard or saw anything.
Never hesitate to make that call.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I was awakened in the middle of the night to Sabi standing over me on the bed, snarling at the door once. I grabbed the phone called 911 and told them I was alone and the dog was growling at my bedroom door.
They were there in minutes, I was advised to stay put and stay on the phone. They were very sweet, and although it appeared that I had simply forgotten to lock the door and the wind blew it open, they checked the whole house and praised Sabi for being a good dog. One of the officers told me they would rather respond to a hundred false alarms then not get a call on one real one.
As they were leaving I pointed to a glove laying on the stairs and said one of them had dropped one. They both had theirs.
Someone was in my house and on their way upstairs to my room, in spite of the wallet laying on the table and the electronics in the living room.
All my neighbors had dogs and all were home. No one heard or saw anything.
Never hesitate to make that call.
Oh my gosh, this gave me the creeps!!! So glad you called when you did, I think all I will have to do is remember this story to call if something like this happens to me again.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts