German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello, I am new to the site. I recently bought a pup from a breeder and was wondering if there is any insight anyone may be able to provide about the Liver GSD's. I understand that they are not recognized by AKC, and was told by my vet that there is no way that she is a GSD. Was told by the breeder that is GSD and that every litter she has had has around 3 or so, of the 10, come out as a Liver. Just curious on your thoughts on if she is truly a GSD and my vet just didn't know what he was talking about because they are rare. His main reasoning behind her not being GSD was because she does not have black in her and he said that her face doesn't look like one. I, on the otherhand, completely disagree. Looking for others thoughts as to if you believe she is or not, or if there is any way to find out 100% by any tests anyone has done. Harper is currently 3 months old (sitting on couch picture)

Thanks for your time,

Erik

Attachments

·
Registered
663 Posts
Oh my, if she isn't the cutest thing I've seen in a while. Gonna be hard not to spoil her. My uneducated eye says

she looks like a real GSD to me. Phooey on your vet. Don't understand why the vet would be such a downer.

Welcome to the board and thanks for the adorable pictures.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
We had a GSD breeder around here that intentionally bred for livers, fawn masked and pandas. She had livers coming from some nice German imports. It is a recessive gene. You girl is a pure GSD...I have seen a white GSD from a black and a saddle back Black and Tan. It just has to come from both parents. And is she is doing repeat breeding she will get them in most litters

Reactions: Erik Ingram

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yes she is doing repeat litters from the father. these are pictures of the parents and one grandparent.. alone with the mother and the litter. I was extremely shocked when the vet said there is no way that she is a GSD. here is also a picture of two pups she had from the last litter

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
that is 100% my thinking, and ive owned two GSD in the past and there is literally no difference besides the color coat as far as I can tell

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Do you know if there are any traits that can be passed on that may be a fault? I have a friend that has a pure white gsd male and was wanting to have 1 litter and be done. as far as my research has shown, there isn't any difference besides the color variation. thanks for any help or if you have any information from that breeder about the recessive genes and what we could expect from the two different recessive gene parents

·
Super Moderator
8,501 Posts
Your pup appears to be a purebred liver sable.

No, the color itself does not carry any faulty temperaments... your concern would be in the questionable breeding practices in using unproven parents.

It wasn’t clear, but I’m hoping the intent is not to breed your pup to your friends wgsd?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts