German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1st post here. Have 5-month-old GSD, great animal, 2nd shepherd.

First german used electric collar (sparingly) for training, mostly leash work. It was effective but noticed fear even at low setting. I'm not really a fan of ECs but want to avoid throat stress with collar/leash and am looking at harness for Hudson. Anyone have suggestions re best harness? I spend a lot of time working with him, long walks, hikes especially.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Ruffwear make very nice and comfy harnesses.

Honestly if it is leash skills your definitely going to want to use a collar to teach that. Maybe look into martingale or prong if your worried about the throat. These collars distribute the pressure around the neck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ruffwear make very nice and comfy harnesses.

Honestly if it is leash skills your definitely going to want to use a collar to teach that. Maybe look into martingale or prong if your worried about the throat. These collars distribute the pressure around the neck.
Thanks for the reply, sure you're right about harness v collar/leash. Did some reading on both collars you suggested, am going to try the prong collar. Again, thanks.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Duke likes his Doggy Kingdom one. I bought it for several reasons:
1. it has his name and phone number on it. He is a happy wanderer;
2. It's orange so hopefully no one here will mistake him for a deer and shoot him;
3. The d-ring is on top so he doesn't get tangled in his leash (he's not real bright and can't untangle himself);
4. The xxxxxxxxL fits him comfortably at 133 lbs;
5. He likes it and cooperates when putting it on or taking if off.
It does seem rugged and has worn well for - ooh - a year or so? No broken buckles or straps or anything like that.

·
Premium Member
11,456 Posts
At 5 months, a prong is not where to start......work with a flat collar or martingale for training sessions. A harness is meant for pulling - so for hikes where the dog is allowed to range (at length of leash or line), a harness is fine. For training and mannerly walks, a collar. The prong is self correcting when it is needed, NOT to be used as a punishment.

Lee

·
Registered
Jazmine Auf Der Marquis
853 Posts
If you do get a harness, get one that also has a D ring in front on the chest, this will reducing pulling when compared to using the ring on the back.

With that said a prong is much more effective, make sure to size it correctly and your dog should wear it high on the neck behind the ears. If it is to large you lose the effect and only the prongs opposite the leash apply pressure.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
I love harnesses! My dog has a few for different activities that I use often: one for tracking, one for Nosework, one for canicross, one for walking in the dark, just for visibility. He also has a rain coat and I want to get a reflective vest. He is allowed to pull into a harness and I never used one with a front clip.

For walking I use a leather agitation collar and a prong. I don’t use the prong to self correct, though. It’s a training tool so I actively correct if needed. The goal is a flat collar at all times down the road.

·
Administrator
The Nerd Herder
6,327 Posts
I clicker/marker train leash pressure with puppies. It makes loose leash walking much easier to train.

I use a harness whenever I expect the pup to pull as I don't want to create bad habits. For a dog that is still growing, I use cheap, pet store harnesses. After they reach close to full size, I use a few different harnesses depending on activity. For hiking, I like a longer harness that has the D-ring close to their butt. It makes tangles less frequent. I like ruff wear harnesses for long wear situations. They are padded nicely and very adjustable. For Nosework and quick romp kind of stuff, I use a patrol harness by Redline. It's easy to get on and has a great handle for lifting etc.

• Love
Reactions: wolfstraum
1 - 9 of 9 Posts