German Shepherds Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
We currently have "distressed" oak floors. We refinished them 5 1/2 years ago but the dogs' nails leave dents in the wood. Instead of using a polyurethane finish our finisher used something called Torginol. There a barely any scratches in the finish even though there are lots of grooves in the wood. I try to keep the dogs from running but I'm the only one - everyone else throws balls inside (upstairs) and of course the dogs don't care either. It doesn't bother me too much but hopefully the distressed look will be fashionable if we ever want to sell this house.

·
Registered
627 Posts
We have Oak floors. They have held up pretty well to over 30 years of dogs and cats in the house. We have rugs on the central part of each room, which the dogs prefer to walk on. Other than that we keep up with trimming the nails.

·
Registered
316 Posts
We currently have "distressed" oak floors. We refinished them 5 1/2 years ago but the dogs' nails leave dents in the wood. Instead of using a polyurethane finish our finisher used something called Torginol. There a barely any scratches in the finish even though there are lots of grooves in the wood. I try to keep the dogs from running but I'm the only one - everyone else throws balls inside (upstairs) and of course the dogs don't care either. It doesn't bother me too much but hopefully the distressed look will be fashionable if we ever want to sell this house.
Should have also mentioned that we trim (or have the vets trim) their nails frequently but it doesn't seem to matter. When a big dog is running on a slick floor their nails dig in - same thing when they hit the brakes. I think that's part of the price we pay for having big dogs in the house. It's worth it! :)

·
Premium Member
3,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
We have Oak floors. They have held up pretty well to over 30 years of dogs and cats in the house. We have rugs on the central part of each room, which the dogs prefer to walk on. Other than that we keep up with trimming the nails.
THey don't make oak floors like that no mo

·
Premium Member
3,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I got some samples for some distressed would... but my current would looks more distressed in places so i'm unsure if it will effectively hide it

·
Registered
149 Posts
We put down old fashioned 3/4" red oak about 15 years ago in the family room. The living and dining rooms came with it. What we put down has held up incredibly well. Dirty but no dings or dents. We finished it ourselves with 2 coats of Varathane floor finish. It is a lot of work. You have to sand it every time step
DSCN1095.JPG
. We stained it with a natural stain to bring up the grain. I have always loved all the colors in it. We also filled every gap no matter how small, something the builder didn't do in the other rooms. It makes a huge difference and I would not recommend skipping that step. It takes a beating from the dogs and they do slide around on it. When Ellie developed the degenerative mylopathy we put throw rugs all over it for her. Made a sticky-tape mess but cleaned off. I'm not a fan of engineered flooring, although I do put in in closets and upstairs where very few people see it. I've attached a pic of Duke laying on the red oak in the family room.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I just did a major upstairs addition in our 110 year old house but haven't had the solid wood floors put in yet (we're still mid renovation). That's just sleeping area for the most part for my two dogs so hopefully it will hold up.

I want to replace most of the main floor (some old linoleum in the kitchen, some strip hardwood probably from the 40-50's) but honestly, thinking of going with wood look porcelain tile since these two GSD I have now (7 months and 6 years) would be **** on wood floors the way they play sometimes. It's a big decision as there's a lot of room(s) to cover with a kitchen, eat-in area, hallway, bathroom and main floor office.

·
Registered
105 Posts
We have “hand scraped” oak floors... they’re 5 years old and I’m totally happy with them. They do scratch if you try hard enough but you can’t tell because of the “scraped” finish. I hope it never goes out of style because I’m pretty sure they’ll last forever. They’re on the medium expensive side.

·
Registered
5,968 Posts
Just information if any one cares. I had a house for several years that had hardwood floors. At that time I had around 20 dogs of various ages, sizes and breeds.
That floor was indestructible. Seriously. Not a mark on it. Ever.
It had a finish called Diamondcoat or Diamondshield. Something about diamonds, lol. It looked gorgeous, it was easy to maintain and honestly in 4 years not a single mark on that floor.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
I have timber look ceramic tiles in the family/living room. Apart from cleaning they're maintenance free, and impervious to water damage.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I have timber look ceramic tiles in the family/living room. Apart from cleaning they're maintenance free, and impervious to water damage.
Yup, that's where we're leaning. I don't want to make a mistake with 8-$10,000 of new flooring

21 - 32 of 32 Posts