German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today was a bad day. Samson is 20 weeks old and has been with us since week 9. We started socializing a bit late at week 15. Samson started a puppy manners class 4 weeks ago. He is doing incredible with his commands and his human socializing. He has been "okay" with his puppy socializing. My wife and I noticed from the begining of his class that he was a little nervous meeting new dogs. He gets a but stiff when a dog approaches him. Despite of this, he eventually hits a comfort zone and does good with the other dogs ( other than a bark or two). We placed high importance to this issue and have been very careful with every new dog encounter. For first time owners I believe we are doing great. Today on our evening walk Samson was bit on his tail by a chihuahua. 2 chiuahuahs charged at us out of nowhere. One went for Samson's face, I was able to protect Samson from this dog. At the same time the other went for Samson's tail, this dog (RAT!) was successfull. Samson yelped and I was able to get the RAT off him. The owner of the chiuahas offered apologies and they were not accepted. I have several questions:

Are my dogs chances if being good with other dogs ruined?

Will Samson be a hazard to the other pups in his class?

Should I report this to the city? Had my dog bit another dog
the city would likely put him down. Unfair.

Any feed back would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'd report it. I just posted something about this on FB. about how small dogs should be held to the same leash and control standards as big dogs. I don't think he will be too bothered tho. Tell your trainer about it and see what he/she says. Just watch him for signs of stress.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Today was a bad day. Samson is 20 weeks old and has been with us since week 9. We started socializing a bit late at week 15. Samson started a puppy manners class 4 weeks ago. He is doing incredible with his commands and his human socializing. He has been "okay" with his puppy socializing. My wife and I noticed from the begining of his class that he was a little nervous meeting new dogs. He gets a but stiff when a dog approaches him. Despite of this, he eventually hits a comfort zone and does good with the other dogs ( other than a bark or two). We placed high importance to this issue and have been very careful with every new dog encounter. For first time owners I believe we are doing great. Today on our evening walk Samson was bit on his tail by a chihuahua. 2 chiuahuahs charged at us out of nowhere. One went for Samson's face, I was able to protect Samson from this dog. At the same time the other went for Samson's tail, this dog (RAT!) was successfull. Samson yelped and I was able to get the RAT off him. The owner of the chiuahas offered apologies and they were not accepted. I have several questions:

Are my dogs chances if being good with other dogs ruined?
Absolutely not, he's still young, and can always learn. Just keep going to class, maybe join a local GSD/training club, contact a pro if you want some good one on one, and have fun with your pup! ;-) Sounds like you are being very careful in what dogs he meets, and are trying to set him up for success. Unfortunately life happens sometimes and these sucky things occur. Look at it as a learning experience in whatever way you can and move on.

Will Samson be a hazard to the other pups in his class?

What makes you ask this? You didn't give any description of his behavior after the bite? I think you are just all wired (I completely understand...a dog attack, no matter the size, is stressful) up and stressed out. I am sure your dog will be fine.

Should I report this to the city? Had my dog bit another dog
the city would likely put him down. Unfair.

Yes. Report.

Any feed back would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
My thoughts to your questions in bold.

Just a remark on your description of the tiny Chi Chi's ;-) ...most members on this board have dogs of all shapes and sizes. The attack was not the dog's fault, but rather the irresponsible owner. Vent all you want about the owner, but try not to name call an entire breed. Again, I completely understand you are in the heat of the moment, stressed out, and worried about your pup. Just some food for thought, your questions will be better served here if your words don't unintentionally offend the masses lol. ;-) Good luck with your pup!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
DaniFani
I completely understand the breed had nothing to do with what took place. The post was written 30 minutes after the incident. I sincerely apologize to any reader who finds the comment offensive.

Thank you for all of your input.

The bite was not bad enough to cause any visible damage. I rubbed his tail to check for any soreness and he seems to be fine.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
58 Posts
I agree we shouldn't call out breeds. However, I grew up with small dogs (miniature schnauzers) before adopting my first gsd as an adult. As a small dog-owning family, we discounted any barking or threat from our dog due to her small size. Big dogs and certain breeds immediately gave us concern of an attack on our little dog.

Now that I have my second gsd in 20 years, I'm observing that small dogs frequently bark and try to nip at my big dog. Often small dog owners don't manage their dogs in this situation, perhaps thinking that the big dogs can handle themselves. I even had one lady at a park recently have her tiny dog snapping and yapping at my gsd with the owner saying, "It's good for your puppy to learn tolerance". What? I wouldn't let a toddler hit, pinch, bit, or incessantly yell at my teenage son, just because of a size difference. Clearly my dog, nor my son, should retaliate in any way, but my point is that the small dog owner needs to take equal responsibility in training and watching their dogs as well like we do as big dog owners.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Do blame the chihuahuas, dame vermin. lol sorry small dogs owners

When dogs charge you, bang your dog into a sit and try to get him to focus on you. Then the approaching dog has a choice to continue to attack a tight pack and face the consequences or stand down. It will usually decline. If you freak out or pull your dogs leash, start shouting at the other owner your gonna make the situation worse and project weakness to your dog so he will want to protect you more. So be calm and control your dog and don't worry about what you meet. Face it with confidence and the pup/dog will sense this and be cool.

And it is not hard work ruined. I see every time i meet an off lease dog as a learning experience.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts