German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My GSD, Vargur, is 5 months old. He came into our possession at 5 weeks of age. We noticed, then, that he had what appeared to be a 'cowlick' on his forehead, right between his eyes. His fur grew and twirled into a small circle.
Since then, we've noticed that it has grown with him, into a hard, lumpy mass under the skin, about the size of a dime. It doesn't seem painful to him when I touch it, but he would rather it not be messed with. It moves with pressure, so I don't think it's a mass that's attached to the skull. It doesn't protrude very far, and at a glance, it just looks like fur coming together between his eyes (I tried to get a picture, not sure if you can really tell it's there.) but you can feel it. It doesn't feel 'ballooned' or fluid filled, it's thick, almost like scar tissue.
Since there's been a sign of it since he was 5 weeks old, could this be a birth defect? Or does this call for veterinary attention? In all likelihood, he'll have a trip to the vet, but has anyone seen anything like this?

Thank you!

7 weeks:

Current:

[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
I would get a vet's opinion for sure. Has he never seen a vet before? I would have though they would have checked on it during the puppy shots?

·
Super Moderator
32,538 Posts
It could be a cyst of some sort. I'd definitely take him to the vet. Even if it's not a big deal, they'll probably want to remove it. Keefer had one removed from the top of his head recently - it was about the size of a pencil eraser.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I would get a vet's opinion for sure. Has he never seen a vet before? I would have though they would have checked on it during the puppy shots?
He had a general exam before he came to us when he was 5 weeks, and I do all vaccinations and worming at home, save Rabies, which are done by a vet at D&B supply.

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
He had a general exam before he came to us when he was 5 weeks, and I do all vaccinations and worming at home.
Ah, that's what I figured :)

·
Registered
402 Posts
Effie has 4 or 5 bumps on her head like warts. The vet said to ignore them unless they change and she will check them every year. They move around a little bit if you rub them but don't bother her at all. One on top between her ears gives her a little mohawk.

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Hey, Fretfox! I live in the Boise area, and can help refer you to a good vet. Where did you get your puppy? He looks like a cutie.

The lump sure sounds like a sebaceous cyst, but a vet is the only one who can give an accurate diagnoses. There are other, less benign, possibilities. But they would be so very rare in a young puppy. The best course of action would be to get the puppy to a vet for a look see.
Sheilah
P.S. I LOVE D&B Supply! I get my horse grain from them.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I had a pup that had a similar bump a little further up. Same cowlick. It was a type of cyst that didn't give her any problems until she was about 8 months old. It opened up and began to bleed, and then became many more bumps surrounding the area. She required a lot of stitches after removal. It was 9 years ago, but I know when she was born, she had a small patch with no fur in the same spot. That is where the cowlick was as she grew. I don't remember what the vets called it.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Kona in Fiona' training class had something similar. It grew huge. Take the puppy to the vet. Kona ended up looking like she had a fist on top of her head. Thankfully it is gone now.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

1 - 9 of 9 Posts