German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ava has had a small bump on her right elbow for several months, and I had the vet look at it when I first noticed it and she said that it was likely due to pressure on the elbow when she sits and lays down. (She does put the most weight on this side when lying on the ground.) I have checked it periodically, and it has definitely gotten bigger. She is due for a nail trimming anyway, so I am going to take her in this week to get it looked at again, but just wondering if I should be concerned about it? It is completely moveable, not attached to muscle or bone--just inside the skin. No discoloration at all, and no hair loss on the site.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm assuming that's probably what it is. I can't take a photo right now because our house is badly lit at night, so it wouldn't turn out well. (Plus, since it's covered in fur, you can't even see it unless you feel it.) It's about the size of a dime, hard, no discoloration on the skin.

ETA: If it is a hygroma, it's not a really bad problem, right? Everything I've read about them so far seems to indicate that it's not a serious condition, although if it gets really bad it might need to be surgically drained... Is that correct?

·
Premium Member
7,904 Posts
Does not sound like a hygroma. They are usually filled with fluid and not hard. My bet would be something like an ingrown hair or clogged sebaceous gland. Or even just a callous. My boy Ike used to get them on both his elbows. I would not be overly worried unless it is bothering her, red, swollen, or oozing.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Vet update

We got her in for an appointment this afternoon, and after looking it over and unsuccessfully aspirating it (he got a sample, but it was stuck in the needle because it was too hard), the vet told us to continue to monitor it for any changes. He said he isn't worried at this point because it is still small (only a centimeter in diameter), no discoloration, no hair loss and no swelling. He did mention a slight possibility of histiocytoma, but since we weren't able to get a good sample we couldn't get a look at the cells inside it. He said either way, given her age, the look of the lump, and her overall health, it is likely not anything serious. If it grows significantly in size over the next month, he wants me to bring her back in. (And if it doubles in size at any point, he will likely want to remove it anyway and send it off for testing just to be on the safe side.)

So, I'm going to keep checking it every week and keep track of its size and any growth. It first showed up 6 months ago and hasn't grown an incredible amount, though its growth is noticeable in that time. Of course, I can't help but be a little worried... hopefully it's nothing problematic.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts