German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to share a sweet story that took place over the weekend. This will make you smile!

VGSR placed a pup with a family about 1 1/2 years ago and they recently contacted us to return her since their new baby had allergies. I truly believe this is a case of where the dog went from being the baby, to being the dog, after the human baby was born.

Anyway, this family lives about 2 hours away from me and was being extremely uncooperative about bringing the dog back to me. Stood me up one weekend (with no call!) and then kept trying to pawn her off on MAGSR or his local shelter.

So, in steps a great guy named Monty, who has been a volunteer with MAGSR for quite a while. He offered to pick up Piper (the dog being returned to VGSR) and meet me halfway between our homes. Then he told me about a dog who was at the Carroll County animal shelter, named King, and asked if we could help. MAGSR was full and not able to commit to him. Monty was nice enough to evaluate King and let me know that he was OK with other dogs. I did not really have room for another foster, but I have a lot of connections and knew I could find a place to stash him if I begged hard enough. King was going to be killed and did not have a prayer of getting out of there alive without Monty's help.

So, on Saturday morning another MAGSR volunteer named Jenn picked up King from Carroll County shelter and brought him to Monty, who then met me with both Piper and King.

Oh my doG, King was one of the nicest, tallest, dogs that I have ever met. He greets you with wonderful kisses and does not have a mean bone in his body. Beautiful sable boy. I loaded Piper in a crate and let King ride up front with me. On the ride home, he rode with his head in my lap, giving me sweet kisses every so often.

One of our previous adopters, who happens to be one of my all time favorite previous adopters, had contacted me a couple of weeks ago, looking for a young male GSD to add to his family. He is in the midst of buying a home with four fenced acres for his beloved Maddie. As I looked down at the big fella, with his head gently resting in my lap, it dawned on me that he would be perfect for this man, who is named Jack.

I realize that it can be risky taking a dog straight out of a shelter and handing them off to someone. Believe me, I really thought about it. I called Jack to see if he wanted to meet King and I just happened to be driving right by Jack's house. He was excited and brought Maddie out to meet King and they were just fine with each other. Then I proceeded to take King to the vets to get all of his shots, exam, heartworm test, etc, and the it was off to the dog wash to get a much needed bath and brushing.

When I called Jack to tell him that King had received a clean bill of health, he told me he had already gone shopping to buy him a bed and bowls. He met met at the Petsmart and King, who walks beautifully on a leash, walked off with his new folks.

I have heard from Jack three times since Saturday about how wonderful and perfect that King is. He is thrilled with his new dog.

This long winded tale leads me to my point - this was cooperative effort between the groups MAGSR and VGSR. MAGSR was kind enough to evaluate and pull this dog for VGSR. Two of their volunteers worked together to get him to safety. As a result of this combined effort, a spectacular dog is alive and well loved in his beautiful home and not dead in the freezer of the pound.

I would like to give a very public shout-out and thanks to the folks of MAGSR who helped us save this dog. King is pretty **** happy about this outcome too.

Rescues working together is indeed truly a fantasic thing!

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Last line should be fantastic, not fantasic, - so much for my skills as a proofreader!

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
That is a wonderful save (literally). Thanks for sharing and thanks to all involved (including you) for making it happen.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Originally Posted By: RemoLast line should be fantastic, not fantasic, - so much for my skills as a proofreader!
No Lea... last line should read "FANTASTIC!!!" What a beautiful story to start off the week!

·
Registered
381 Posts
What a great story! When all the frustration is starting to get the better of me, news like that is such a boost.

Save A Shepherd had a similar experience this past weekend with German Shepherd Rescue of SE PA; also involving one of the nicest, tallest, young males I've ever met (hmmm!). Tabasco is still waiting for a home of his own, but we couldn't have gotten to him without Southeastern's help. And we happily welcomed Lady (aka Lana) to a SASRA foster home this weekend thanks to Jaime and Echo.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
This is a wonderful story. It's nice to know there are so many wonderful, caring people out there to help these dogs end up in loving households.

Here's hoping that Pipen has the same destiny and finds a great permanent home soon.

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
A good story about great people doing outstanding work. Well done guys and thanks for sharing the story. Definately got my day started off on the right foot.

·
Registered
913 Posts
This is such a great story. It sounds like your heart knew who King wanted to live with. There is nothing greater than a rescuer's love! Thanks to you and all who were involved. I needed this today.

·
Registered
6,659 Posts
Its so nice to see rescue groups working together. Thanks for sharing such a great story.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Just wanted to share a sweet story that took place over the weekend. This will make you smile!

VGSR placed a pup with a family about 1 1/2 years ago and they recently contacted us to return her since their new baby had allergies. I truly believe this is a case of where the dog went from being the baby, to being the dog, after the human baby was born.

Anyway, this family lives about 2 hours away from me and was being extremely uncooperative about bringing the dog back to me. Stood me up one weekend (with no call!) and then kept trying to pawn her off on MAGSR or his local shelter.

So, in steps a great guy named Monty, who has been a volunteer with MAGSR for quite a while. He offered to pick up Piper (the dog being returned to VGSR) and meet me halfway between our homes. Then he told me about a dog who was at the Carroll County animal shelter, named King, and asked if we could help. MAGSR was full and not able to commit to him. Monty was nice enough to evaluate King and let me know that he was OK with other dogs. I did not really have room for another foster, but I have a lot of connections and knew I could find a place to stash him if I begged hard enough. King was going to be killed and did not have a prayer of getting out of there alive without Monty's help.

So, on Saturday morning another MAGSR volunteer named Jenn picked up King from Carroll County shelter and brought him to Monty, who then met me with both Piper and King.

Oh my doG, King was one of the nicest, tallest, dogs that I have ever met. He greets you with wonderful kisses and does not have a mean bone in his body. Beautiful sable boy. I loaded Piper in a crate and let King ride up front with me. On the ride home, he rode with his head in my lap, giving me sweet kisses every so often.

One of our previous adopters, who happens to be one of my all time favorite previous adopters, had contacted me a couple of weeks ago, looking for a young male GSD to add to his family. He is in the midst of buying a home with four fenced acres for his beloved Maddie. As I looked down at the big fella, with his head gently resting in my lap, it dawned on me that he would be perfect for this man, who is named Jack.

I realize that it can be risky taking a dog straight out of a shelter and handing them off to someone. Believe me, I really thought about it. I called Jack to see if he wanted to meet King and I just happened to be driving right by Jack's house. He was excited and brought Maddie out to meet King and they were just fine with each other. Then I proceeded to take King to the vets to get all of his shots, exam, heartworm test, etc, and the it was off to the dog wash to get a much needed bath and brushing.

When I called Jack to tell him that King had received a clean bill of health, he told me he had already gone shopping to buy him a bed and bowls. He met met at the Petsmart and King, who walks beautifully on a leash, walked off with his new folks.

I have heard from Jack three times since Saturday about how wonderful and perfect that King is. He is thrilled with his new dog.

This long winded tale leads me to my point - this was cooperative effort between the groups MAGSR and VGSR. MAGSR was kind enough to evaluate and pull this dog for VGSR. Two of their volunteers worked together to get him to safety. As a result of this combined effort, a spectacular dog is alive and well loved in his beautiful home and not dead in the freezer of the pound.

I would like to give a very public shout-out and thanks to the folks of MAGSR who helped us save this dog. King is pretty **** happy about this outcome too.

Rescues working together is indeed truly a fantasic thing!

I know this is an older..lol..thread..I just wanted to say that both Monty and his wife and another volunteer w MAGSR Jenn were just involved in another few rescue's in MD/and along the PA line..they're awesome folks.

It's a wonderful thing when rescue's cooperate and work together to save a dog's life. GSD or not..they're always there. I volunteer also and the more networks we build across the country ....the more dog's we can save and find lifetime homes.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts