1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
9,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hans didn't have the best of mornings.
Good thing he recovers so quickly. :wub:
Thanks for looking.

Temperature check was bad enough, but now prostate check?! This is horrible!

Oh, noooo! What is this blue thing?

Whew...glad that is over. Good riddance, Bad Place.

I feel better if I push my snout against mama's arm.

Ears up! We're back at the Good Place! Yeah!:wild:

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
Aww, poor handsome Hans!

Mikko hates the thermometer so much that I ask them not to check his temp anymore- I tell him, "You're welcome," every time :)

·
Registered
9,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We went in for a suspected UTI.

He never had a temp check or a muzzle before, but we muzzled because he half-curled his lip when they tried to do a blood draw for his titers-- after stoically enduring the temp and prostate check. Poor guy had had enough. That was polite enough to ask me if I was okay with the muzzle.

When I took pics the vet said I was mean, LOL.

·
Registered
32,013 Posts
Pretty dog. He has a ton of expression. I swear all of mine think I am going to leave them at the vet. We go a bajillion times, and I have only left a few of them there for a couple of hours. I don't remember ever leaving anyone overnight. And still they think I am going to leave them there. And if I do leave them there for a few hours you can hear their tails going a mile a minute when I show up to take them home.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Aw! Poor Hans! How terrible of you to take him to such a bad place! ;) LOL glad he's all better now! I love how expression filled he is - such a handsome boy :wub:

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Poor guy. Thankfully, none of mine really care about the vet... Until the thermometer comes out, then all of them turn on the pathetic puppy eyes and the cries of horror. :rolleyes: Mine are big babies when it comes to anything being poked and prodded.

·
Registered
9,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They actually cry? Oh, goodness, that would slay me.
Hans is such a quiet dog, including when he has discomfort.

The muzzle picture looks horrible, but the vet tech was actually trying to reassure him.
I offered to step out, because I felt I was making things worse since he knew I was there. I wanted them to finish the job quickly and get it done with.
The vet tech told me he was very good, and asked if he had been used to a muzzle, because he didn't try to frantically paw at it like he had seen other Shepherds do. But it was the first time he had ever had one on.

I am so thankful I found a wonderful vet here. He actually asked if I would be upset if they muzzled him. I told him to go right ahead, if that made him feel safer.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
They actually cry? Oh, goodness, that would slay me.
Hans is such a quiet dog, including when he has discomfort.

The muzzle picture looks horrible, but the vet tech was actually trying to reassure him.
I offered to step out, because I felt I was making things worse since he knew I was there. I wanted them to finish the job quickly and get it done with.
The vet tech told me he was very good, and asked if he had been used to a muzzle, because he didn't try to frantically paw at it like he had seen other Shepherds do. But it was the first time he had ever had one on.

I am so thankful I found a wonderful vet here. He actually asked if I would be upset if they muzzled him. I told him to go right ahead, if that made him feel safer.
For regular check ups, they are perfect and quiet.... but once they start going internal (thermometers, swabs, anything in the nose/throat), or stitches/cleaning wounds... Yes, they literally cry and scream like little babies.

It used to break my heart.... I'd literally tear up.... But, now I know they just have great acting skills and play it up so badly.

When I had to have the vet assist me in bathing Zira (she was deathly afraid of water, to the point that she'd hurt herself or pass out).... Zira would scream bloody murder before the water was even turned on. Absolutely ridiculous and pathetic. :rolleyes:

Big tough GSDs have their kryptonite! LOL!

·
Registered
9,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I guess no swimming pool for Zira, huh?

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
I guess no swimming pool for Zira, huh?
Lol.. No, that wouldn't go well. She's much better now, I can bathe her at home on my own now without commotion or injuries. Just little whimpers.

My other two LOVE water, and Zira will sometimes play with them in a kiddie pool... But only on her time, and comfort zone. She'll run in and out, very rarely does she stick around to risk being eaten by the water monster. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
9,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I guess the smearing peanut butter on the walls of the bathtub didn't work with her?
LOL, that one worked great for brushing, here!

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
For regular check ups, they are perfect and quiet.... but once they start going internal (thermometers, swabs, anything in the nose/throat), or stitches/cleaning wounds... Yes, they literally cry and scream like little babies.

It used to break my heart.... I'd literally tear up.... But, now I know they just have great acting skills and play it up so badly.

When I had to have the vet assist me in bathing Zira (she was deathly afraid of water, to the point that she'd hurt herself or pass out).... Zira would scream bloody murder before the water was even turned on. Absolutely ridiculous and pathetic. :rolleyes:

Big tough GSDs have their kryptonite! LOL!
OMG...I don't know how you lived through your dog passing out. I cried the first few times I gave Finn a bath as he screamed and cried so loud you would've thought I was murdering him. The very first time he was hoarse and the whites of his eyes were red from nearly choking himself to death. I will never forget him crying these hoarse little choking cries while shaking like a leaf in the living room...after the third or fourth bath, he was completely fine.

I guess the smearing peanut butter on the walls of the bathtub didn't work with her?
Oooh...that's an awesome idea. I never thought about that.

BTW...Hans is just gorgeous! What does the vest say, if you don't mind my asking.?

·
Registered
9,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Vest says, "Working, do not pet." There is a second patch that says, "In training."

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
He's very cute. Lisl love's going to the Vet. She knows who has the good treats!

Last time we were there I don't think she even realized she had her temp taken.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts

·
Registered
9,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Very cool.
The vest has two zippered compartments and Hans carries my credit card case and my cell phone.
It's pretty funny when the dog rings, LOL.:D

It has very much helped with the fear factor of the public, once he got large.
Instead of grabbing their kids and going the other way, now parents are telling their little ones that the doggie is working. I can take him to the hardware store, and people will smile instead of flip out. It helps a lot.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
LOL! Great pics and yes very expressive.

Vests are a wonderful thing. The one I used for Ilda says "In Training" and "Ask to Pet".

Though in the near future I'd like to get a vest with the velcro patches so you can change them out and get the patch that says, "Drama Queen" because she can be expressive too! :)

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I never promise Scarlett that they won't stick anything up her butt. She hides under the bench in the vet exam room and we have to drag her out. She quivers and pitifully whimpers.

Bathing her is a nearly impossible task at home. I have to take her to the DIY bath place (where they will help me get her tethered in the bath) or take her to a groomer.

I just picked her up from the pet hotel this morning. They said she is so sweet and they enjoy petting her and spending time with her. I guess she stops that pitiful squeaky bark after I leave.

She is QUITE a drama queen too!

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Tried all sorts of treats and toys. Once she gets into what we call the "red zone"... it's done. She could care less about toys, treats, words, or touch. Now it takes a little more to get there, so we can usually go through a whole bath now without getting too close. However, during her first year, that "red zone" would literally start the second she saw the bath stuff and the water was on... and it was immediate. Thankfully, at 2yrs old that stage is gone!! :crazy:

OMG...I don't know how you lived through your dog passing out. I cried the first few times I gave Finn a bath as he screamed and cried so loud you would've thought I was murdering him. The very first time he was hoarse and the whites of his eyes were red from nearly choking himself to death. I will never forget him crying these hoarse little choking cries while shaking like a leaf in the living room...after the third or fourth bath, he was completely fine.
It was rough, I cried the first time it happened and panicked. But, you learn it's not hurting them and get a bit numb to it. I couldn't react or it would just make it worse and basically acknowledge her reaction as correct. It doesn't bother me anymore with any of them.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts