1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
Awww poor guy, the dark GSD's have it rough for sure :( Up here it's going to cool down a bit to around 15 C so Delgado will be much happier.

Last year he spent a ton of time outside and handled the heat well but this year he seems to be struggling more, I wonder if it's because he has his full coat in while last year he was still shedding his puppy coat.

Personally I don't do well in heat either so I can sympathize

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
Thanks for that link! Exactly what Gator needs...we had a couple super warm days and he was dragging so bad thought he was in severe pain (heat may be affecting mobility to)...the eve cooled down to reasonable temp and he was trekking along fine in same day

Was going to buy a cooling bandana, but didn't think would offer much through that thick mane...I have one of those magic bags for my back, they barely last 10 mins. not sure if bandana would give any significant length of time

·
Registered
9,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for that link!

Was going to buy a cooling bandana, but didn't think would offer much through that thick mane...I have one of those magic bags for my back, they barely last 10 mins. not sure if bandana would give any significant length of time
You're welcome, that is why I posted it, because I thought others may want to get one.
I got the human one, too, and although it looks very clunky, it helps tremendously. The packs are filled with some sort of oil, and they charge in only 15 minutes and do not get too cold. I used mine on walks last year, but the vest was a little too big for Hans then :wub:
Because they go on the dog's belly, they are placed exactly where they need to cool off.
A wet towel doesn't work as well and doesn't last as long, and I don't want to keep him wet because he gets rashes.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
First, he is so cute/handsome! :)

Second, I may have to look into getting one of these for Baxter. He gets SO miserable in the heat, and something like this may be perfect for him!

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Heh heh, poor Hans :) Berlin literally did not move at all the day it was 86 degrees here. I thought at one point he may actually be dead! :eek: (***sarcasm***)

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Poor boy, I was going to suggest a patio mister, but you are right about not wanting to keep him wet all the time. Our dog has a terrible time in the heat too.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Trent's the same way with hot weather. I've had to spray him with a hose before we start out on our walk! The vest sounds like a great ideal, though. Will have to look into that too :)

Hans is such a gorgeous boy!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts