German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i haven't been on in a long time. but wanted to update you with a few pics i took over the holiday weekend....

if you remember our belgium malnois/shepherd mix we got a while back:

well here he is several months and pounds later...we got him and he was 9 mos. old about 50 lbs. he is about a year and 3 months old and is pushing 90 i'd say. his "sister" is a german shepherd is 2 and is only about 75 lbs.

this is how they are when they are not racing through the house chasing each other or the cat!!

and why not one of the cat, mango:

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
They're both cute but I love your mal/gsd cross! Did you adopt him and if so, how did they know his background? Did they just guess?

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
Aww!

Great pictures!

Your Mal/GSD is gorgeous! :wub:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
we had been looking for another gsd to adopt whether from a breeder or from rescue. i had been combing the animal shelters online and found him. when i called them, they told me his stats based on what their vet could determine. a lot of ppl have said he looks more mal than gsd, but he doesn't seem to have the attitude of one. yes both of my dogs are crazy and hyper, but everyone told me to expect a gsd on crack from him. he is not bad at all.

as far as his background...he was trained, as in sit, stay, come. so we figured he was probably a run away, out looking for some "nookie" and got lost. he had no chip in him, but does now, so there was no way of finding an owner. he has turned out to be such a good boy. he is such a lover and an attention hog.

he has actually brought the puppy life back into my gsd. she had kinda calmed down and was a great dog and now she is acting all crazy like a puppy again. doesn't help that we have a cat that they like to chase around...granted the cat is more the instigator out of all 3. you ask for it, you get it!!

he is totally different coat wise than my gsd, his is soft and fluffy and his ears remind me of a bunnys ears, all soft and velvety. my gsd has a oily coat and her fur is more coarse, not as soft. i don't know if that is a trait of the mals, but whatever.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Nice dogs! They look pretty bonded - I love the picture of them shoulder to shoulder.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
gorgeous dogs!!

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
we had been looking for another gsd to adopt whether from a breeder or from rescue. i had been combing the animal shelters online and found him. when i called them, they told me his stats based on what their vet could determine. a lot of ppl have said he looks more mal than gsd, but he doesn't seem to have the attitude of one. yes both of my dogs are crazy and hyper, but everyone told me to expect a gsd on crack from him. he is not bad at all.

as far as his background...he was trained, as in sit, stay, come. so we figured he was probably a run away, out looking for some "nookie" and got lost. he had no chip in him, but does now, so there was no way of finding an owner. he has turned out to be such a good boy. he is such a lover and an attention hog.

he has actually brought the puppy life back into my gsd. she had kinda calmed down and was a great dog and now she is acting all crazy like a puppy again. doesn't help that we have a cat that they like to chase around...granted the cat is more the instigator out of all 3. you ask for it, you get it!!

he is totally different coat wise than my gsd, his is soft and fluffy and his ears remind me of a bunnys ears, all soft and velvety. my gsd has a oily coat and her fur is more coarse, not as soft. i don't know if that is a trait of the mals, but whatever.
I think the problem with mals is many people are used to straight working high drive mals or badly bred neurotic mals. They aren't all like that. Mine isn't a "GSD on crack" either, and I'd always heard the same thing. I never thought I'd want to own a mal because the only ones I knew were PSD's (K-9's) and they are NUTS! :wild:

We found a nice medium drive mal and are beyond thrilled with him. :wub:

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
And he definitely looks like a mal/gsd. He has the exact same markings of our mal, ours is just the traditional red and black and yours is the darker sable version. But you can definitely see the Mal and GSD.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Hans is so handsome!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts