German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
It's hard to critique a dog from a video, can you get a stacked shot of the dog?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sure. I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts about his hind legs/gait and if they thought he was limping. I will try to get a better video of what Im thinking is a limp. I would like to get a few opinions before I pay for an Xray and send it off to the OFA.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the reply. I do plan to take him if hes still limping in a week, although he has already been limping for two weeks. A few possible causes? Undermuscled? He is never crated, he is outside most of the day and free range of the house when inside, goes for daily one mile walks and is played with. He eats big breed Nutro with healthy training rewards and has even been on half dose of a glucosimine condroiten (spelling) supplement from two months old. Growing pains? He is male, but not overly large IMO...although he is the right age, I just dont think this is the cause. I am not an expert though which is why Im asking for opinions here. I need breed expert opinions to go along with my vet opinion. I have added several additional videos which show his limp and back legs better. He limps worse when he first gets up in the morning. When these videos where shot he was already walking around for a bit. Also notice how he does alot of stretching-not just once or twice.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Re: hannibal limping???

It worries me that he limps, I watched him bunny hop in the one video (when he was running and instead of one leg striding at a time..he used both together), and that it's worse in the morning...those are common symptoms of Hip Dysplasia.

He could have also hurt himself jumping or running/stumbling while playing outside...so I wouldn't jump to any concusions, but I will say that if I were you, I'd be taking him in to the vet sooner than later.

·
Registered
754 Posts

The best thing is to crate the pup. I would not have him running around with another dog. I also agree that instead of waiting and speculating about what might be the problem take him to the vet to see exactly what the problem is. I hope he is ok.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts

How old is he? Maybe Pano?

·
Registered
17,397 Posts

yep, could be Pano.

HD?

Tick disease?

lyme vaccine induced limp?

back problems?

knee problems?

There are lots of things that can cause a limp. But since it's there, it definitely should be checked out.

Age?

·
Registered
4,520 Posts

Both of the dogs are limping, but one of them (Hannibal) worse. Maybe contact the breeder and see what they have to say.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

I think its just a bad shot on the other. I saw what i think you saw in the video and so i went out and observed her and didnt see anything. I wanted to update this post. As of today, the limping is alot better-so it probably was pano. I did not get an xray because I wanted to wait it out-Im in college and dont want to spend the money unless I have to. Hes still cowhocked though and not 100% so an xray is definantly in his future. Thanks again for all the help.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts