German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got people asking me what I charge for handling dogs now...and I've no idea what I should be telling them.

Because of this I basically tell them that money to cover a tank of gas or just lunch is fine by me (and it truly is). What SHOULD I be telling them? I've taken in everything from class dogs to specials, and I've got people at my club actively seeking me out to handle now. I even picked up a 6 year old GSD (quite nice I think), but generally I am just happy to have dogs to show and handle since my own GSD isn't showable.

Any suggestions?

·
"I like Daffy" Moderator
3,276 Posts
Most up-and-coming handlers charge $25 per class, and only charge expenses if they take the dog to the show. Get 3-4 dogs per day, and your expenses are taken care of. Finish your first dog and give yourself a raise later.

·
Registered
10,225 Posts
Quote:and I've got people at my club actively seeking me out to handle now.
I'm obviously not a show person but if the above is true, you're definitely doing something right. Great progress you've made, I'm very happy for you! *hi5* Daphne's advice makes a lot of sense- you have to earn yourself that raise and what better way than handling a dog from 0 to Ch!

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I'm truly not worried about making the "big bucks" right now. And when I say charge for gas, it's basically the cost of the handling fee (about 25-30 dollars) because I've only been traveling to local shows, and I drive a dinky little Toyota Corolla that gets great mileage.

I've never had to transport a dog because I'm local, and I pick up ringside, or I'm showing my own dog in a performance event and I pick up ringside.

I do just "handle for free" and people have started insisting on giving me money (which is way cool, but I'm just so happy to be in the ring, I decline initially). Now I just say "thank you" and I'm happy with whatever they give me.

The two women who have given me an opportunity to really start showing I don't charge or require anything from, but they often buy me lunch at the show and give me $20-30 for handling. I do have quite the array of clientele lining up now and I'm on an:

Open Bernese Bitch
Open Sheltie Dog
Open Vizsla Bitch
Open/Am-Bred GSD

I may also be showing a couple of Smooth Collies, a Golden Retriever, a Brussells Griffon, and a Dalmatian (all of these dogs are down in Texas, as I'm trying to make the DFW shows).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts