German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can any one help me i just got a gsd pup im not really sure how old he is. I do know that ha is at least 2 weeks old. I wnat to take good care of him but would like some suggestions!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What :eek:

At least 2 weeks old? Where are his parents? Why do you have him?
we got him from a friend of ours. but im not really sure how old he is. our friend has the parents but he took the pup away because she ate all of the others. he might be older than 2 weeks but im not sure. is there any way i could find out :help:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Basically its the same as if you had a small kitten, bird, ect. Get milk and a bottle. The milk replacement will tell you how much to feed and how often based on the pups weight. Get a small scale(that you would use for food). You will want to weigh daily for awhile to make sure he/she is getting good nourishment. Also make sure that you have a small box with lots of blankets, and put a heating pad underneath it on low. They cant regulate their temps well and need to stay warm. If their body temp gets to low they will not want to eat. You will need to help the pup eliminate as well. Use a wet wash cloth after each feeding and wipe the pup. Its a lot like having a new born baby in the house. You wont be getting much sleep lol.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
At 2 weeks...no he is not going to be very active. Make sure you feed him every 2 hours right now.
when we got him the man (he lives down the street -hes not a friend) gave us a can of dog food and said that what he had been feeding him. it was a can of ADULT dog food. I got puppy food but im not sure if thats enough.
i just got him yesterday around 5 pm and when i took him in the house to clean him up i found 6 ticks on him and 2 of them were very large. the person that i got him from seems to be an idiot, cause he doesnt know when the pups were born how many she had or any thing else. thats why i was woundering if someone might have some ideas or tips that might help me find out an aproximate age.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Basically its the same as if you had a small kitten, bird, ect. Get milk and a bottle. The milk replacement will tell you how much to feed and how often based on the pups weight. Get a small scale(that you would use for food). You will want to weigh daily for awhile to make sure he/she is getting good nourishment. Also make sure that you have a small box with lots of blankets, and put a heating pad underneath it on low. They cant regulate their temps well and need to stay warm. If their body temp gets to low they will not want to eat. You will need to help the pup eliminate as well. Use a wet wash cloth after each feeding and wipe the pup. Its a lot like having a new born baby in the house. You wont be getting much sleep lol.
Thanks for the information here is more about how i got him when we got him the man (he lives down the street -hes not a friend) gave us a can of dog food and said that what he had been feeding him. it was a can of ADULT dog food. I got puppy food but im not sure if thats enough.
i just got him yesterday around 5 pm and when i took him in the house to clean him up i found 6 ticks on him and 2 of them were very large. the person that i got him from seems to be an idiot, cause he doesnt know when the pups were born how many she had or any thing else. thats why i was woundering if someone might have some ideas or tips that might help me find out an aproximate age.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I would get the pup to a vet asap, especially if he had ticks all over him. It really irritates me when people are that stupid(the guy) sounds like it was a very good thing he gave you the pup. Take him to the vet, they should be able to figure his age out pretty close, and make sure he is healthy(from ticks ect) and let you know exactly the course of action that needs to be taken.

With my years of work with rescue groups I have learned that its best to see the vet right away, you just never know what could be going on with an animal especially when it comes from someone who obviously didnt care

·
Registered
26 Posts
Petsmart, Petco, even walmart and possibly target have the milk replacements(if you cant get any get goats milk) and they sell the bottles, make sure to buy a few, they tend to rip the nipples up fast lol

·
Registered
344 Posts
he took the pup away because she ate all of the others.

She ate them????!!! How often does this happen? sorry if thats off topic...but im curious to hear this...

this is a 2 week old puppy.

4 weeks

8 weeks

i just pulled them off the web to give you an idea.

really? 2 weeks?

:(

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
She ate them????!!! How often does this happen? sorry if thats off topic...but im curious to hear this...

this is a 2 week old puppy.

4 weeks

8 weeks

i just pulled them off the web to give you an idea.

really? 2 weeks?

:(
thanks the pics helped alot by looking at them i would say he is about 3 weeks. i just took some pics of him to put up on this site but i gotta figure it out.

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
Vet offices also have many of the supplies. The puppy could be dehydrated and might need fluids. (I haven't read the whole thread)

I would take the puppy in to the vet, but not put the puppy down anywhere - carry them in a carrier, and then put them on the scale and table with a clean towel under them. I don't understand parvo completely, but would be worried about that. That's why those kind of precautions. www.marvistavet.com/html/canine_parvovirus.html

I would also have to have complete trust in the vet I was seeing - and get more information here and on the web so you know what they are talking about.

Good luck with the puppy.

(My aunt/uncle bred Beagles when I was little - they had one who killed her puppies and could not be bred again)

1 - 20 of 52 Posts