German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Super Moderator
32,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another Halo flyball brag! She's been racing a little over a year (since April 2012), and last weekend we were at a flyball tournament in San Jose. It was a nice outdoor venue running on grass, which is what we practice on. Saturday the weather was good - not too hot, mostly sunny with temps in the high 60's/low 70's - perfect flyball weather. Sunday morning was off to not such a great start, there was a delay because when we showed up at 6:45 it was drizzling. It rained lightly for about 2 hours, and then they were able to dry the field and get things going a little after 9:00 AM.

Our club, Marin Running Riot, had 4 teams racing on Saturday and 3 on Sunday. On Saturday Halo was on Unleashed, and Sunday she was on Unfettered, running 5 of the 6 races for her team each day. I was so proud of her and the rest of the dogs on Unleashed - we won 22 of our 24 heats on Saturday, and the two heats we lost were the race that Halo was not in. We smashed our division, it wasn't even close, as the second place team won only 12 heats! :happyboogie: All four of our teams won their divisions that day, the only division we did not win was the one we didn't enter a team in. The other divisions were much closer though, one of our teams was tied with another team for first, but we won the tiebreaker.

In Halo's races on Saturday all the dogs ran clean and got full points, 25 per heat, earning them 500 out of a possible 500 points for the day. She also ran her best time ever, a 4.6. In fact, there was one heat where our scribe did not get times for the first two dogs (Halo was running second in the lineup), but of the 19 heats I have her times for, 15 of them were under 5 seconds. She had three 4.7s, two 4.8s, and four 4.9s. Except for the 4.6, she's run those times before, but never that consistently, which means my passing is getting better too.

On Sunday, Halo and all the other dogs in her races again ran clean and earned 500 points, a total of 1000 for the weekend - the most she's ever earned in one tournament. We were shorthanded that day and did not have a scribe, but I was able to turn around and catch a few of her times myself, and saw some more 4.7s to 4.9s. Mollie, who was doing pass calling on Sunday, said that Halo got a 4.6 on Sunday too, but I missed it. We didn't do quite as well that day, all three of our teams came in second in their divisions instead of first, but still not bad. :)

The points Halo earned last weekend put her at 4896, just 104 points shy of her Flyball Master title. She actually earned plenty of points to have gotten her FM last weekend, but our co-captain made a mistake in putting together the teams at our tournament in March, and because she accidentally listed one of her own dogs on two different teams in the same division, the dogs on those two teams were disquallified and lost all their points for that day. At the time Halo only had 2768 points, so the 400 or so she should have gotten that day was a huge hit for her, unlike the other affected dogs who all had at least 14,000, and some had twice that or more. :( Now we'll have to wait until the next tournament, which is one that our club will be hosting to benefit the Marin Humane Society on the 4th of July weekend. She only needs 5 heats with all the dogs running clean, so she should get her FM in her second race.

I also got to run two other dogs on Sunday, which I've never done at a tournament before - both start dogs, another first for me since Halo has never started before. I ran Emma, a JRT, in the Unfettered race that Halo wasn't in, and I ran Jinx, a BC, for all 6 of her races on another of our teams. I had some good starts, some okay starts, some not so great starts, and a couple false starts, but it was fun and definitely a learning experience for me. Fortunately they are both very experienced dogs who know what to do so all I had to do was lineup where they told me to, and let her go at the right time.

Oh, and there was a photographer there who got pictures of at least one of Halo's races, so I'm hoping she got some good shots. Olga said she would try to get them up on her website by the end of the week, and if I decide to buy any I'll post them on the board.

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
Way cool!

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
HUGE congratulations!! That's a great achievement :D

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Congrats, that's fantastic!! I would LOVE to see some pictures if you get any.

·
Super Moderator
32,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a couple of pictures of the venue from last year's tournament, and some pics of Halo in previous tournaments that I've posted before. :)

Evergreen Valley College, San Jose California

·
Super Moderator
32,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Halo in last year's Paw tournament:

And from the Truckee (near Lake Tahoe) tournament last July:

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
That is so COOL! Thank you for posting those. Your dog is gorgeous and the game looks like so much fun.

·
Super Moderator
32,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's pretty crazy sport, very loud and chaotic! It's tons of fun though, Halo absolutely loves it. It's somewhat unique because training dogs to run full speed towards each other and pass by with only inches between them is not a normal dog behavior. Most other sports utilize a dog's natural instincts to some extent, but while running, jumping, and retrieving balls are all things dogs typically like to do, other aspects of flyball are definitely not what many dogs would be comfortable with. Chasing the dog in the other lane is an issue that many people have to overcome.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Huge congrats to you and your team! Sounds like an awesome weekend. Yay for Halo running a pb :) It's always exciting when they shave some time off.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Woo hoo congrats! :D Good job Halo! Love the pictures...she looks like she loves flyball! :)

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Way to go, Debbie! Nice work, Halo!! Congratulations :)

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Great job Halo! What a nice venue!!!

·
Super Moderator
32,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Huge congrats to you and your team! Sounds like an awesome weekend. Yay for Halo running a pb :) It's always exciting when they shave some time off.
It was very exciting! I really think the box maintenance we did made a big difference. At the TNG seminar they told us there was too much space between the ball and the thrusters, creating a lag time before the ball is ejected after the dog hits the pedal. There should be a gap of 1/4" to 1/2", no more than that. So in lieu of practice the previous weekend, everyone who was there worked together to fix two of our three boxes.

In addition to lubing and adjusting the pedals and thrusters, we replaced all the matting, putting 3 new layers on the pedal, 2 on the face plate, and 3 "biscuits" on each hole. We tested the boxes briefly with the dogs that were there - fortunately we had at least one dog that used each of our 4 holes so we could make sure everything was functioning properly before we tried the boxes at the tournament.

It was funny because our co-captain who was running one of her dogs in the start position saw our pass caller hold up two fingers, and then Halo's time of 4.7. She said "there's no way that was a two foot pass, Halo doesn't run 4.7". Except that she DID!!! :wild: The 4.6 on Saturday was with a zero pass, not sure about Sunday but I'd guess it was the same.

Congrats and I love the pic of Halo in the chair most of all, like I need a rest now.
That picture is from an earlier tournament, but she climbed in my chair last weekend too. I used to give her the "up" command to get her to jump up there, but now she's taken it upon herself as her due, and will just climb on up and get comfy. :laugh:

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
a BIG CONGRATS!!! how cool;)

·
Registered
6,597 Posts
Go Halo!!!! she's gotten so big!!!! Yes, its been a whiles since I've been here!!!

·
Premium Member
7,820 Posts
Congrats to you and Halo . I could feel her speed looking at the pictures. Great pictures btw . Halo you rock. Love the chair picture too!

·
Super Moderator
32,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Go Halo!!!! she's gotten so big!!!! Yes, its been a whiles since I've been here!!!
Hi Claire, nice to "see" you! :greet:

I'm still waiting on the pictures from Olga, they're not up on her website yet. :(

1 - 20 of 22 Posts