German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
32,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got the pictures from the Pawdemonium flyball tournament 5/25 & 5/26 from Olga at Gadabout Photography. Not the best conditions since it rained for about the first two hours we were there, causing a delay in racing, but Olga stuck it out and got some good shots in spite of the dreary gray overcast. So without further ado:

·
Registered
261 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Love the shots with all 4 feet in the air :)

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Super! Love how low her head is coming out of the turn and how close her feet land to the box. We've been working on that with Nikon but aren't getting anywhere.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
I like looking at box turn pics. In some of my (now ex) teammates dog's photos, you could ALWAYS tell he was looking at the other dog. He was/is the most competitive dog I have ever seen.
I like how Halo looks right at you right off the box.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Beautiful!

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
love these pictures...beautiful dog, of course..

·
Super Moderator
32,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think this one is my favorite - it's a little awkward so maybe not her prettiest turn, but the expression on her face is so cute, and I love how she's still half on the box but already looking for me. :wub:

Super! Love how low her head is coming out of the turn and how close her feet land to the box. We've been working on that with Nikon but aren't getting anywhere.
We've been working on that in practice, so it's really cool to see that she's actually doing it at a tournament! Everything happens so fast in real time, and I'm all the way at the other end of the lane and it's really hard to see ANYTHING from that vantage point.

I like looking at box turn pics. In some of my (now ex) teammates dog's photos, you could ALWAYS tell he was looking at the other dog. He was/is the most competitive dog I have ever seen.
I like how Halo looks right at you right off the box.
I'm pretty lucky that she's never been all that interested in other dogs. It's such a huge problem in the sport, but not really anything I've had to overcome. Stray balls, well that's another thing.....:whistle: She is super focused! At practice she does look over at the dog in the other lane right before we start - she's competitive, and seems very aware that she's in a race.

We were shorthanded at the last practice and were doing most of the dogs in full runs by themselves so we had enough extra people to manipulate props, but our team captain had another dog run with Halo because, as she said, "when Halo runs by herself she dawdles". :rofl:

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
I'm pretty lucky that she's never been all that interested in other dogs. It's such a huge problem in the sport, but not really anything I've had to overcome. Stray balls, well that's another thing.....:whistle: She is super focused! At practice she does look over at the dog in the other lane right before we start - she's competitive, and seems very aware that she's in a race.
The one dog I was referring to wouldn't actively go after other dogs, but he just doesn't appreciate nose-to-nose contact. But he wouldn't go after another dog in any other instance. When I was taking photos of his owner's niece starting him, his eyes were on the other dog the entire time while he was waiting for her to let him go. As soon as she let him go - BOOM, he bolted toward the box. He's just a competitive dog and sizes up the other dog, and at the box he looks to see where the other dog is. Sometimes he'll hang on the box to kind of wait on the other dog before taking off again.

His times definitely differ depending on how fast or slow the other dog is. If the other dog is slow, he's like, "Eh, whatever." If the other dog pushes him, he will push himself HARD.

I will agree though. Ozzy hasn't had any issues with other dogs, whatsoever. In Ozzy's first tournament when he was running singles, he was against a Min Pin. She crossed over and was running right next to his lane on the way back. He just looked and was like, "What the heck are you doing?"
I think Ozzy is wary of other dogs more than anything - that's probably because he's small and he HAS been run over before. Not in flyball, just playing fetch, but as long as he runs clean, I'm fine with him being wary! I'm okay with him playing it safe!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts