German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, Milla has been molting for what seems like forever. As she is a machine, I have been out there several times, with blades, slickers, and hand stripping.

Today I went at her again. She has no collar or leash on and was not trying to get away, so I do thing think she was nervous, and I have no reason to believe I was hurting her, but today, she had some serious flakes of dandruff going on.

Is this a food thing?

I used the slicker to remove a dogs' worth of hair, and then decided to wash her with a medicated shampoo.

My dogs are generally groomed professionally twice a year and rarely need anything but basic brushing, nails, and ear cleaning, so it is not like I am constantly bathing them.

I guess my question is, does anyone else have a dog with flakes of dandruff, is it likely I am just being too aggressive with the brushes/blades, or is this likely a food/skin thing -- she is the only one doing this though.

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
My GSD does have the same problem when I go at him with a slicker, but never any other time.

He's been on a lot of food for his allergies and gets oatmeal baths often, and does itch occasionally now, but has the dandruff regardless. I think it may just be an aggressive brushing thing tearing up their skin, even though he never seems bothered either and I don't do it that hard. He doesn't shed either, which could have something to do with it... :shrugs:

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I must admit that I was going after the hair today. I just cannot seem to make a dent in it. If I see sheds tomorrow, I think I will just strangle her, LOL!

I will use a pin brush next and see if that is different. Today is the first time I saw all this dander, and I was using a slicker.

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
Yeah, it seems to me that the slicker just tears on their skin a little bit- not enough to bother them, but enough to loosen up their skin and cause the dandruf. Frag looks worse after I brush him than before usually! :p

·
Registered
27,245 Posts
Selzer are you giving oil supplements? My dogs had the heaviest undercoats ever this past winter, and are now finally free of the winter coat, no flaking however. I use undercoat rake and then a slicker followed by a bristle brush. Never give baths unless they get into something, though they love the hose and kiddiepool.
I have a feeling diet plays into the skin condition.
I would up the oils and see if there is a change.

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have had issues with corn. Arwen would get redness between her toes and ear infections. I think corn plays a part in that, at least the crappier grades of corn. I haven't had any of those problems on the current food. There is always the possibility that the owner of the company is actually telling the truth and uses a higher grade of corn than what is generally seen in dog food. At least, I have noticed that.

But a little extra oil for Milla would probably be a good thing all in all. I think I have some fish oil pills somewhere.

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
LisaT are fish oil pills higher in Omega 6 or Omega 3? I do not think, considering the previous conversation that I would want to up the 6 without the 3.

·
Registered
17,397 Posts
On a more serious note....

Excessive shedding can be a sign of thyroid issues. Typically, it really is a food issue if it's truly excessive.

As onyx'girl mentioned, dandruff issue is typically a fatty acid issue. Indy has had that dandruff problem since she was pup. Her key was the right food, a multivitamin, and some flaxseed in her diet. Too little or too much flax will cause the dandruff issue for her. She can't tolerate fish oil, so I can't use 0-3's, which is what I would prefer for her. However, being a spayed female, the phytoestrogens in the flax is good for her.

·
Registered
17,397 Posts
LisaT are fish oil pills higher in Omega 6 or Omega 3? I do not think, considering the previous conversation that I would want to up the 6 without the 3.
A lot of fish oil supplements actually are higher in 0-6, though it is animal 0-6 rather than plant based. A better fisher oil will at least have a majority of oil as 0-3. There are several around, I'll go look up the ones that I use....

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Milla will be two in August. This is the first dandruff I have seen and it is after several bouts with the slicker, so maybe I will lay off that tool a little, before going all out with thyroid testing at this point, but it certainly worth keeping in mind. Thanks.

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Normally, once they start their biannual shed, I take them in and have them do the undercoat raking, which usually means some more shedding but never major.

As financially challenged as I currently am, I figured I would do the undercoat raking myself -- though I think they may use a special shampoo. And mostly, I am just brushing and brushing, and raking and slicking. So it is hard to really compare this to her last major shed.

I decided to shampoo her after the fact today just in case I went overboard with the slicking and could maybe with the medicated shampoo avoid anything like itchies happening due to it.

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The ones I bought were at drug mart, back when I had Cujo going through Mitaban baths. I am sure they have the epa/dha but not much more.

I will look it over before giving them to her.

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
I agree Lisa, but since Sue has had so many issues with finding a food the dogs can handle I would take Jane's advice and try oil supplements first. If none of that helps then she can look into a food change for Milla

***ETA

holy cow! none of these other threads were there when I replied. I don't type THAT slow ;)

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No, I just do not want to use anything made by diamond, which is almost everything, and I want ALL my dogs on the same food. I am lazy. I do not want to mess with two or more different foods for ten dogs. The food my dogs are on, they are all doing very well on.

·
Registered
31,597 Posts
You could also add canned sardines to her diet. They are 100 mg O3 per one sardine. They do have O6 in them but the O3 is higher so will either lower, or maintain, your ratio.

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
There is a reason I do not feed all raw. That is because of things like tripe, sardines, etc. Some of that stuff I won't even look at...

My dad used to EAT sardines. Haaaack Tuey!!!!

I don't think I could pull it off. I can hand them a raw chicken leg quarter, no problem, but a tiny fish.

thanks for the though. Not sure how much sardines cost these days but I also imagine they are out of my price range.

·
Registered
31,597 Posts
$1.49/15 oz. can. They aren't raw, they are canned. But they still smell terrible. :) I feed 1 oz to my 11 lb cat daily. Huge, huge difference in his coat in just a couple of weeks. You could probably feed her a can, or two, a week and be able to see a difference.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts