German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. Quick question: Is it normal for my girl to be shedding in the fall? I thought they shed in the spring and grow coat when it gets cooler. It?s not like she looks mangey or anything, but when I pet her, she?s definitely shedding.

Other than that, she?s healthy and happy. Probably not an issue, but my knowledge of canine health is pretty limited at this point.

Thanks in advance for your replies. This is a great community for sharing information.

·
Premium Member
1,535 Posts
My white GSD sheds year around, but seriously blows coat at least once a year. I try to brush him outside and when he's shedding a lot, it looks like it snowed! Luckily, he enjoys being brushed, so it's not really that big of a deal. When he's shedding heavily, he's seems to be a little bit itchy, so I up the coconut oil a little and that takes care of it.
Sometimes during times of stress, a dog will shed a bit more than usual.
She's probably just being a typical "German Shedder", lol.

·
Super Moderator
5,635 Posts
Mine blow coat about twice a year, and also about 6 weeks before going into heat. Lots of hair flying around here!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mine blow coat about twice a year, and also about 6 weeks before going into heat. Lots of hair flying around here!
She may be about ready to go into heat. Do they get REAL stubborn about that time? She hasn?t listened worth a hoot for about a week. Normally, she?s excellent.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My white GSD sheds year around, but seriously blows coat at least once a year. I try to brush him outside and when he's shedding a lot, it looks like it snowed! Luckily, he enjoys being brushed, so it's not really that big of a deal. When he's shedding heavily, he's seems to be a little bit itchy, so I up the coconut oil a little and that takes care of it.
Sometimes during times of stress, a dog will shed a bit more than usual.
She's probably just being a typical "German Shedder", lol.
Are you from the Evansville side of Southern Indiana? I?d love to find a shutzhund club in the area. Or a good gsd trainer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts