German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night I noticed my dog Toby, who is a one and a half year old male GSD, lost fur on his side and his skin feels very thick and rough. About 3 days ago I gave him a bath with a different shampoo. Could this be an allergic reaction? Anyone have an idea what it could be? I understand we’re not vets here, but someone might be able to help. I will wait a few days to see if it improves before taking him to the vet. I attached a picture. If it’s not clear I can take a better one. Thank you so much! I’m freaking out a bit. If you look closely at the picture, you can tell his skin looks very textured, which gives it that unsmooth feel.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Last night I noticed my dog Toby, who is a one and a half year old male GSD, lost fur on his side and his skin feels very thick and rough. About 3 days ago I gave him a bath with a different shampoo. Could this be an allergic reaction? Anyone have an idea what it could be? I understand we’re not vets here, but someone might be able to help. I will wait a few days to see if it improves before taking him to the vet. I attached a picture. If it’s not clear I can take a better one. Thank you so much! I’m freaking out a bit. If you look closely at the picture, you can tell his skin looks very textured, which gives it that unsmooth feel.
Could be ring worm, or a hot spot. Is he itching?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Could be ring worm, or a hot spot. Is he itching?
Hello, thank you for the response!
I haven’t noticed any itching as of yet, but he has been licking this spot a lot.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Hello, thank you for the response!
I haven’t noticed any itching as of yet, but he has been licking this spot a lot.
Do not let him lick!! That will make it worse. Hopefully some more experienced members will come on and give you some ideas on what could be going on.

·
Registered
7,504 Posts
It looks like a hotspot to me. It’s good to clip the hair around the area with sterile clean scissors and spray vetricin on the area. Good for hotspots I believe. If you let the dog lick it will get worse. If the vetercyin does not help then I would go to vets office. Could be a allergic reaction to something or a bath gone wrong. Important to dry dog well in humid weather after baths.a comfy cone may help as well to keep away from licking the hot spot. Both are always good to have on hand in addition.
https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/vetericyn-animal-wound-and-skin-care
https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/all-four-paws-tan-comfy-cone-small-1275151?&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&adpos=1o1&scid=scplp1275151&sc_intid=1275151&cm_mmc=PLA-GG-_-PTC_P_BND_PLA-GG_FY17_SCShopping-TM-_-Non+VIP+-+TM-_-58700003271149947&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&adpos={adpos}&scid=scplp1275151&sc_intid=1275151&kwid=p26086767577&device=m&gclid=EAIaIQobChMItsjVo4732gIVnoSzCh2p_g0oEAQYASABEgLTbPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you so much. I am going to go to Petco right now to grab the stuff. I’ve never heard of a hotspot before. Does this usually go away on its own? I’ve read to keep the area very clean and dry.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
My first GSD, over 20 years ago, always got hot spots in the spring and summer. He had terrible allergies. My vet did some research. Back then, at least, they found that giving cephalexin for at least 30 days broke the cycle. More so than allergy pills, benydril, steroids.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts