German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed the past couple of weeks Jake is loosing clumps of hair. I brush him daily and he has been shedding excessively lately. I figured he is blowing his coat. I am concerned about the fact that I can pull a clump of hair out with my hand. He has no bare spots, and his coat is shiney and healthy looking. He was on antibiotics for an ear infection. I am wondering if this is normal? or could it be from the meds? Jake is 2 1/2 yrs old. I feed him Innova dry for large breed dogs as well as Innova wet food.

I would appreciate any advice. Thank you.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I *pluck* mine when they are blowing their coats. Yes, hair clumps are normal for them then.

I should ask; is it on their butts? around their necks??

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you Heidi, It's both, neck & butt. I am so happy you responded so quickly. How long does this go on?

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
Well, if you're Gracie.....months! If this is the first puppy coat blow, several weeks. I found if I let Gracie get went in the sprinkler then brushed her outside it was easier on the house (and the birds loved us).

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He is 2 1/2 yrs. old. This is the first time he really is blowing his coat this way. Is this still considered puppy coat blow? The birds really do love us these days too!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts