German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Yup. Hackles are normally raised as a defensive reaction when the dog feels scared in some way. They go through stages where they fear more than usual at that age. Ignore any hesitant/fearful behavior and do not acknowledge him when he acts this way. Keep walking and just drag him past whatever is spooking him like it's not even there. You can even turn around and keep going by it until he ignores whatever it is, as it's a great way to desensitize him. I came across at least three nutty dogs in fenced yards on Sunday when walking my 16 month old female. She hackled a bit and I took the opportunity to walk back and forth past those houses at least a dozen times while working on sits and downs ignoring the dogs. If my dog reacts to an inanimate object I will sometimes go as far as pick her up and put her on it or near it.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
The way I see it, the people chose to leave their barking dog outside unattended. I'm going to take advantage of it. Teaching your dog to ignore other barking dogs and focus on you is key, and where else can we get that opportunity for free?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.