German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My GSD had a hot spot last year towards end of summer. Took him in, they shaved it off, sprayed the stuff on there. All good. All of the hair that was where the hot spot was, has grown back. But a small section around where the hot spot was, has not grown back really. Any suggestions? Ideas? thoughts? Anybody experience this before? I've heard of the hair where the hot spot was not growing back, but not the hair around it.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,248 Posts
Last summer Luna had a hot spot on base of her tail. it took awhile for the hair to grow back (black fur)as the vet shaved a big square off. It looked similar as all the fur grew in eventually filled in which seemed to take awhile.

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
I think what you are seeing is a lighter colored undercoat around the hotspot which is contrasting with the darker colored guardhairs coming in on the hotspot. Give the coat time to grow in properly.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Finn gets a hot spot now and then.
I’ve found the healing process too be very slow in that for Finn it takes a very long time for the hair to grow back 100%.

Be vigilant with what ever you use to treat the spot and discourage your dog from scratching or licking the area. And be patient.

I’d say as long as there’s no redness or swelling your pup’s hot spot will resolve itself.

Good luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts