German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm Red, from North Carolina, and my husband and I just brought home a white GSD puppy. He's nine weeks old and we named him Sora.

He's totally rambunctious and has got to follow either B or myself everywhere we go. We do have a crate and we are crate training him. Was just recommended by the vet to get a kong to put in his crate with him to keep him from screaming when he can't get to us.

My long term goals with him are to be able to leave him out in the house when hubbs and I leave without him destroying everything. He's already shown us how smart he can be (to my chagrin). I also want to be able to take him anywhere and let people see how obedient and sweet he is.

As soon as he's had all of his booster shots, we're taking him to puppy training classes at PetSmart. They'll be able to teach me how to teach him, and I think that'll be great for the whole family. I want Sora to be the best dog he can be, and I know that it starts with my husband and I.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Aw. He's a cutie with a responsible owner. Kudos!!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Aw. He's a cutie with a responsible owner. Kudos!!
That's what I'm aiming to be - the most responsible owner I can be. GSD's are wonderful, smart dogs, but I know he's going to need help from me to be the best.

(I'm a dogs > people kind of person.)

Thank you for the warm welcomes!

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Congratulations he's awfully cute...

·
Registered
478 Posts
Gorgeous! Congratulations to your family. Sounds like you are on the right road. Bravo.

·
Registered
238 Posts
He is adorable! I bought a WGSD puppy about a week ago too! Sunny is around the same age Sora! :). Welcome!

·
Registered
18,371 Posts
Very cute! I love the white GSD's. I think you will be a wonderful owner. But a word about socializing --- I would take him as many safe places as possible before he finishes his shots. He needs it now. The critical socialization window closes by about 16 weeks. So you want to try to safely expose him to as many things as possilbe now. Keep it fun and keep it happy and positive. You can take him to work to meet co-workers, go the bank, home improvement stores and allow him to ride in a cart at the pet store. Stay away from public places where many dogs relieve themsleves, like parks, dog parks, rest areas etc. You may know all this already so forgive m if I am harping. :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the warm welcomes! I've definitely gotten some good advice here, I think I'll be sticking around - I'll need all the help I can get, plus, you can watch Sora as he grows up!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts