German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished this last night... Its a design I'd been working on for a while, but kept making changes. Now I'm finally where I don't want any changes!

I've been using prong covers for a long time, since the public has such a negative view of prong collars. I've looked at so many different prong collars and liked aspects. Like the solid outside of the neck tech, the new ones where the prongs go half in one direction half the other to decrease rotating. Quick release options to be easier to put on and off, nylon instead of chain for a finer degree of adjustability...

A few years back I started with a basic prong cover. Flat over the prongs that velcro around each prong and then wider ends with velcro that wrapped around the chain. But it did decrease the use of the chain slightly, where it didn't have as much tightening on the live ring.

So my first idea was to cut the chain off one of my prongs, and replace it with a small collar. Easy to put on and take off, and smaller adjustments than removing links. But still slides easily and has full use.

I built from there to come up with this. I never had to cut a chain, I used spare links so now I have a total of 4 prongs instead of 3 lol. The hardware was only a couple dollars and the rings were extra ones from a different project. The slider to adjust came off an old dog collar that my roommate had been borrowing, but when he bought a new collar his dog chewed up the old one. I used clothing leather, a pair of pants I bought for a different project years ago at good will for $4 bucks.

I started with 1.5 inch black nylon webbing. I sewed on elastic that holds each and every prong. The prongs at the ends are held on by 2 separate elastic pieces. I then covered the outside of that with the leather. I made the martingale piece the way I make a cat collar, with a slide adjust but then rings at the ends. The rings can fully slide through the hardware to come completely undone, but from where the leather is sewed over the ring its a tight squeeze and you have to tug a bit so its also not going to slide out while you're working with it unless you want it to. Attach the leash to the 2 rings on the end for live ring use, attach to all 3 (floating ring) for dead ring use. No need for a backup collar, this isn't coming apart anywhere.

Best of all, it looks really fashionable and not at all like a prong.

·
"I like Daffy" Moderator
3,276 Posts
Cool. I want one!

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys! A friend of mine said I should patent it lol.

It was pretty easy and cheap to make, but very tedious. My machine also doesn't like sewing thick nylon, I really want an industrial one. The nylon I used was thin enough it didn't cause a problem, but there were some spots where it didn't like sewing the 2 layers of leather over nylon and elastic. So I had to rip out stitches and do it again.

·
Registered
907 Posts
I want one too!!

ETA: These are the types of prongs people should use, makes it easy to avoid the negative looks or comments!

·
Registered
5,708 Posts
Sweeeeeeet ! I have the cover part, but would be nice to mod the chain. :) Nice job............. :D

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
Nice! Looks a lot like the Secret Power collars, but I'll bet it was a whole lot cheaper doing it yourself. Also, the Secret Power collars don't come in plain black for some reason.

I bought a pretty gold and purple one for Boaz and took out all the prongs.
Secret Power

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks guys :) Maybe I will make some to sell. But I made it completely custom, so I'd have to figure out some sort of sizing to do it that way. I used tape for where the martingale part eventually went, and then got an estimation of nylon size around my dogs neck and safety pinned the ends. Then pinned elastic holding the prongs on the ends to check size on the neck again. Used chalk to mark exactly where the elastic needed to be sewn over each prong...

I wouldn't mind making them but it was so time consuming. I do a lot of this sort of stuff to help with the bills, sewing and making leather leashes to sell online. I'm trying to move into more stuff thats got a better profit for time involved. I'm disabled and it can be really painful sitting at the sewing machine for a few hours.

I made this prong because I use a prong as my working collar for my service dog. But its always covered because I'm afraid someone will see the prong and assume it means my dog is not trained. She doesn't need it, but I do lol. I've also worked her in her flat collar plenty of times. But with limited strength I feel better having a prong in case of emergency. I also like that if she does step out of line (because she IS still a living creature with a mind of her own!) I can give a subtle and unobtrusive correction with about an inch of leash, instead of a full collar pop or verbal reprimand.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
:) Very nice! I want one!! lol! I love the idea for the nylon instead of a chain.

I like the cover for it! I would really like to have my dog's prong covered.... I have no idea how to work with a sowing machine though..... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Those that dislike the chains as I do, its easy to cut it of and replace it with a small/medium nylon collar. And those plain black nylon prong covers with the velcro over each prong are sold at lots of places and pretty cheap, so it would be easy to get one of those and then have someone cut the chain and replace it with a plain black nylon collar. You'd have to add something though to use it on a dead ring, but thats simple enough like my floating ring.

I am glad I went this direction though without cutting a chain off, especially because of using the matching leather where my earlier idea wouldn't make it match perfectly.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts