German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apache got into the garbage and ate the absorbent mat from a meat wrapper. She had it and I was trying to get it without chasing her and then she gulped it down.:mad:
I looked up inducing vomit and headed out and bought 3 percent hydrogen peroxide and gave a 25 cc dose. It took some encouragement, I made throw up sounds to get her to puke but she did and I got the mat out.:)

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Ewww I made the mistake of cutting one of those open on accident once and got all the little weird ball things on the inside all over the sink...no idea whats in them, but yay for getting it out!

·
Registered
7,261 Posts
Glad you got it all. We had to do the same for an ingested chuck-it ball. It was gross, but we got all the pieces.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This was a plastic thing with cotton in the middle. It was still in one peice and couldve really blocked things up.

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
You were quick on your feet. That would have most likely caused a blockage. We should all keep peroxide on hand, a unused bottle.

Glad she's ok now!

·
Registered
990 Posts
Oh lucky that was quick thinking!! - I always worry about those - they just smell so tempting to a dog :)

The jelly stuff inside some of them is non toxic (it's similar to what you'd find in a baby diaper or feminine napkin) and should go through ok - the plastic cover on the other hand is bad news

I admit imaging a human making throwing up sounds to encourage the dog is kinda funny :D

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Tempting items of trash such as that goes into it's own bag and goes straight to the garbage can. Bag it so the flies don't get at it.

Don't put tempting junk like that in the trash where the dog can get to it.

It's a good thing you were there. Glad she's OK.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Apache got into the garbage and ate the absorbent mat from a meat wrapper. She had it and I was trying to get it without chasing her and then she gulped it down.:mad:
I looked up inducing vomit and headed out and bought 3 percent hydrogen peroxide and gave a 25 cc dose. It took some encouragement, I made throw up sounds to get her to puke but she did and I got the mat out.:)

Glad you got it out. Good info to know.....

My Kaos (RIP) ate the cover of a tennis ball. Not knowing that I made him a hot dog then gave it to him hot enough so he threw up. I will remember the hydrogen peroxide with my puppy Havoc who always has something he should not in his mouth.....

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
Good job on the quick thinking, we always keep peroxide on hand. Glad that your pup is ok.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts