German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi so this will be my first time ever owning a German shepherd and I had some questions like when do they stand up and what is meant by taping and what are some usual problems

·
Super Moderator
6,996 Posts
they can stand as early as 6 weeks, or as late as a year, but the latter is less common. average is somewhere between 3-6 months although they can go up then down then one up then switch off the criss cross sideways and everything else before they “set”.

taping is something that most consider unnecessary but others feel the need to do something to help the ears. there are many methods. there is no proof that taping indeed helps, however there is proof that taping can damage ears.

the truth is, the majority of german shepherds have erect ears, with no assistance.

there should be no “usual” problems.

·
Registered
80 Posts
My current two had erect ears by about 10-11 weeks. Not unusual for one ear to stand up first while the other still semi-flops.

·
Registered
538 Posts
There is no reason to worry. It's very rare that ears don't go up. Just be patient and give the pup time, several months, like 9 or 10, not weeks.

I'm always surprised that so many people are so concerned about ears. I've had several GSD's over the years and never had one with floppy ears. I know it does happen, but not often. In my opinion, there are many more things to worry about than ears.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Here’s my pup at 4.5 months
Her ears were up and down for a long time but went up just a couple days after she turned 5 months old.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts