German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We picked up Max from a shelter almost two months ago. Within a week of getting him he started vomiting and his face swelled up. We still aren't sure what caused it but we eventually decided to switch to BARF/Raw Diet. We've been doing this for about 2-3 weeks now but he still occasionally starts hacking and usually hacks up bits of bone and yellow stomach bile. This morning he did it again and continued hacking for about an hour with nothing else coming up. I let him out to go to the bathroom and he had a bit of diarrhea.

Also, as far as I can remember 100% of the times he has vomited or hacked have happened during the night. Usually, 4-7 hours after he's gone to bed.

The only other information that may be pertinent is that he has separation anxiety as well. He was only alone yesterday for about 10 minutes while I was running errands and he stayed in the truck. (We just confirmed that he has S.A. a week ago and we have slowly started working on it but we have a ways to go still.)

:help:please Help! We are completely overwhelmed with all the problems and don't know what to do. :(

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
If he's puking up bone bits, he's not digesting the bones you are giving him well enough so pukes them up when they've been sitting in his stomach for too long. I would cut back on the amount of bone and go with either ground bones or pick smaller ones. What are you feeding him?

If he's puking up just yellow bile, that's usually fixed by feeding more often and just a snack before bed will stop this.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We did with the initial vomiting and allergic reaction but he didn't know. He gave us some meds to inhibit vomiting and some Science Diet food that's easy on the stomach. We haven't gone back for the hacking business. It's only happened a few times, so I thought it was a random occurrence. I already know that they don't believe in the Raw food diet, so I'm fairly sure that's what they'll point to. Which is probably what it is but I would like an unbiased opinion.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Elaine, I think you're right. That's what I was thinking. We've been feeding him a combination of chicken legs, wings, backs, ground beef, gizzards, and an occasional egg. Roughly a pound of "Raw Meaty Bone" and a pound of "Muscle Meat" with a couple ounces of gizzards.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quick edit for above, it's actually 18 ounces of RMB, 16 ounces of MM and 2 ounces of organ meat.
He's about a year old and around 72 lbs, which is at the low end of where he needs to be.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
Keep in mind that there's a lot of calcium in the wings and backs. You might want to go more with the leg quarters.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts