German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems from looking over the forum that this is pretty rare. Since the last post about it was a long time ago, I thought I'd put a feeler out to see if anyone since has run into and has any thoughts.

For those that don't know, it's basically a gsd who sprained his ankle and then when it healed there was scar tissue that tightens the muscle and makes him walk with a small limp. It causes no pain, but is permanent. It usually comes before they are 2 years old. For prevention, I've been told don't run the dog before they are two years old, and don't use a Chuck It. The fast take offs and stops ends up being too hard on their early muscles. If they start to limp they need to be on serious lock down for two weeks. If it's in their genes there maybe no getting around it, but better safe than sorry.

I have found that he falls down more easily and tires out sooner than before he was diagnosed. That said, he is in no apparent pain and besides the occasional stumble, I've seen no other side effects.

·
Registered
4,667 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

And thanks for sharing this info. It very well might save others from unintentionally injuring their dogs!

·
Registered
7,267 Posts
Hmmm... Wonder if this can happen with broken toes as well? My big girl has had an almost unnoticible limp, but it's there.

·
Registered
6,776 Posts
I'm wondering if this explains the constant issue with Shadows one front leg. It has improved but just the other day I noticed her chewing it again and she was limping. First time it's bothered her in a few months though, and that's the longest she's gone without limping ever so the NEM is clearly working.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts