German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I took Gunner to a family reunion figuring he would play well with my cousin's fiance's 4 month old english bulldog. The minute we got out of the car and saw her, he screamed. Like a blood curdling scream as if he was getting attacked. It took him almost an hour to even be near her. Otherwise he was trying to crawl up my legs and crying constantly. I took one of my other dogs with us so he would at least see a familiar face. After he got comfortable, he would play a little bit but not much. I was thinking of taking him to doggy daycare to get him use to other dogs. We're starting puppy obedience on the 28th mainly for the socialization. I don't know anyone that has dogs his size or larger that I could slowly introduce him to. He's fine with small dogs. I just don't want him to be scared of all large dogs he sees.

·
Registered
850 Posts
I think taking him to dog daycare is a great idea, as long as they will work with him to make sure he doesn't get overwhelmed. Most places will introduce him to a small group, or even the puppy group at first if he has socialization issues. Some also have stable and reliable dogs they can introduce him to (to get him used to the large dogs). Many dog daycares have trainers on site as well to help situations like yours. Good luck!

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
how old is Gunner? a doggie day care might to much for him. do they seperate the larger dogs from the smaller ones? how about a puppy class? after he graduates from the puppy class sign him up for a few more if he needs it. are there any dog parks you can go to? all size dogs are there. i like the puppy classes and the dog park because then you're right there with him.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He will be 11 weeks on Friday.

There are three different daycares and I know in one they don't separate. The other they might, but I haven't been there in a while. And the last one is with a very experienced trainer in the area but its a 30 min drive out of the way. I don't plan on taking him until he's finished with shots. But would going in and watching how he does on the first day be optional?

We did enroll in puppy class and the only downfall to our town is no dog parks.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
I know you said you enrolled him in puppy classes. Are there a series of classes? If there are you should keep him in them so he can grow as the other pups do. The doggy daycare is a good idea if they seperate them and work with the dogs.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
We started taking Jesse to doggy daycare when he turned 4 months old (they wouldn't take him before that), it did wonders for him, he doesn't say boo if a dog walks by but he is also happy to go meet and greet and follow the other dogs lead if they want to play or just want to be left alone and he will do both, very well, we get comments all the time that Jesse is a well behaved puppy or wow what a good boy from a dog owner that just walks by and doesn't want to interact his/her dog with Jesse for whatever reason. Jesse is now 9 months old.

Also our daycare doesn't separate large and small dogs, which is fine because the big dogs have been there since puppihood and interact well with small dogs and the small dogs think they are big dogs and boss the big dogs around. Jesse is gentle, he met an 8 week old puppy today and was very gentle with her.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
when our boy went to puppy classes he didn't have all of his shots but he had the ones that were required for the classes. our boy was 10 weeks old when he started puppy classes. there was small puppies and larger ones. there was a King Charles Spaniel that ruled the class. this cute, tiny little pup was rough and ready to tumble. if you choose a day care i think you should take him there and stay with him for a 1/2 hour or so and then leave with him. i would that a couple of times before i would just drop him off and leave him there. you know, get him use to it some. as far as driving a 1/2 hour to be in a class with an experienced trainer, that's a short ride when you compare it to the long haul you're going to have with your dog. which ever you choose make sure you get the phone numbers of some of the owners of the dogs so you can get together during the week to let the dogs play. this way the dogs get more time in together.
Originally Posted By: GunnersmumHe will be 11 weeks on Friday.

There are three different daycares and I know in one they don't separate. The other they might, but I haven't been there in a while. And the last one is with a very experienced trainer in the area but its a 30 min drive out of the way. I don't plan on taking him until he's finished with shots. But would going in and watching how he does on the first day be optional?

We did enroll in puppy class and the only downfall to our town is no dog parks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts