German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately I've been considering to get my male shepherd neutered and I've been told the eariler the better, but with all the research I've been doing I'm starting to think otherwise. I have read that you should let them reach the age of 3 before neutering, because then they will be the full age of adulthood and have less heath problems later in life.

Gunner is actually small for his age.. remember me stating that he's 19 months? He currently only weighs 73lbs (33kg), and I'm wondering what he should be? 80lbs or so?

What do all of you think? Should I get him neutered soon, or wait?

All replies will be considered, and appreciated!

Attachments

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
I've always been told and read that its best to wait until 2 years before altering but to each his own. Far as his size, he'll be as big or small as he will be. He may stay around his current size. No sure fire way to predict it really. Altering him now wouldn't really be a negative except for bigger dog costs more to fix.

How much did his sire weigh? I've heard you can roughly gauge how big your dog will be by relating the females in the litter to being closer to moms size give or take and the same for males relating to their father. Also depends on the lineage of the dog too.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He may stay around his current size. No sure fire way to predict it really. Altering him now wouldn't really be a negative except for bigger dog costs more to fix.

How much did his sire weigh? I've heard you can roughly gauge how big your dog will be by relating the females in the litter to being closer to moms size give or take and the same for males relating to their father. Also depends on the lineage of the dog too.

Would neutering him now cause any harm? Will be fill-out normally?

When it comes to his parents weight, I'm not sure. I just asked the breeders I got Gunner from, and their not quite sure. They aren't registed breeders, but I'll add a photo of his parents. His father is on the left, mother, right.

Attachments

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Would neutering him now cause any harm? Will be fill-out normally?

When it comes to his parents weight, I'm not sure. I just asked the breeders I got Gunner from, and their not quite sure. They aren't registed breeders, but I'll add a photo of his parents. His father is on the left, mother, right.

No, neutering him now shouldn't cause any harm. He looks to be a relatively small framed dog judging from the pictures and his parents look to be roughly the same size. Our male that we had put to sleep in February, though he was a mix, was altered at 6 months old and he filled out probably a little later than he might have had we been able to wait a little while before having him fixed but he did fill out. By now his growth plates have likely finished closing off and if he bulks out some more, it probably won't be much. He could just be a medium sized male which would make him pretty good for agility or flyball with his size if you were interested in doing anything like that.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, neutering him now shouldn't cause any harm. He looks to be a relatively small framed dog judging from the pictures and his parents look to be roughly the same size. Our male that we had put to sleep in February, though he was a mix, was altered at 6 months old and he filled out probably a little later than he might have had we been able to wait a little while before having him fixed but he did fill out. By now his growth plates have likely finished closing off and if he bulks out some more, it probably won't be much. He could just be a medium sized male which would make him pretty good for agility or flyball with his size if you were interested in doing anything like that.
Okay! So neutering now wont cause any harm.. that's good to know. I would think 80-90lbs would be a good weight for him, but if not he is good the way he is.

Also, would he be considered a medium-plush coat?

·
Registered
723 Posts
I don't see where another 10 to 20 pounds would be a good idea. From the pictures you posted, he looks fine to me.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Okay! So neutering now wont cause any harm.. that's good to know. I would think 80-90lbs would be a good weight for him, but if not he is good the way he is.

Also, would he be considered a medium-plush coat?

lol no, fixing him now won't cause any harm. he looks like his body condition is pretty well off where its at so I wouldn't worry about his weight since its the body condition that matters more. My 3 year old female's mom was 60-65 lbs while her dad was 100lbs after losing 10 lbs. His body condition was less than his frame was set for. He could have been 105lbs and been in perfect condition for him. My female is 75lbs. I was actually surprised she got above 70 and she's in good shape.

I would consider him a medium-long stock coat. I wouldn't really consider him a plushie but I'm not a breeder so hopefully someone with more knowledge on the coats will chime in for that one! Sorry I cant be of more help there.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't see where another 10 to 20 pounds would be a good idea. From the pictures you posted, he looks fine to me.
Because you can feel his hip bone, and count all of his ribs. I know he don't need to be 100lbs, but 85 even would be better then 73lbs. Also, 70 pounds is where a female should be not a male shepherd. That's what I think anyways. When I gets him his next lot of vaccinations I'll ask my vet.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
lol no, fixing him now won't cause any harm. he looks like his body condition is pretty well off where its at so I wouldn't worry about his weight since its the body condition that matters more. My 3 year old female's mom was 60-65 lbs while her dad was 100lbs after losing 10 lbs. His body condition was less than his frame was set for. He could have been 105lbs and been in perfect condition for him. My female is 75lbs. I was actually surprised she got above 70 and she's in good shape.

I would consider him a medium-long stock coat. I wouldn't really consider him a plushie but I'm not a breeder so hopefully someone with more knowledge on the coats will chime in for that one! Sorry I cant be of more help there.
No your helping me a lot! I just have so many questions, and sense you said it, he do look more like a medium-long stock coat.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Because you can feel his hip bone, and count all of his ribs. I know he don't need to be 100lbs, but 85 even would be better then 73lbs. Also, 70 pounds is where a female should be not a male shepherd. That's what I think anyways. When I gets him his next lot of vaccinations I'll ask my vet.
Can you see his ribs? Or just feel them? As for a bitch weighing 70 pounds, my Leo is about 22.5 inches tall, and weighs maybe 52 pounds. My sister-in-laws bitch is maybe an inch taller, and easily 30 to 40 pounds heavier. My bitch looks and acts like a healthy, active dog. Her bitch resembles a sausage on toothpicks. :(

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
i've never neutered my dogs and there's never been a problem
with them. if i were going to neuter my dog would be 2 yrs old or
older. don't force weight on your dog. 85 lbs may not be
better than 70 lbs. your dog is probably the right weight.
he could be a smaller GSD but 70 lbs isn't that small.

Because you can feel his hip bone, and count all of his ribs. I know he don't need to be 100lbs,

>>>> but 85 even would be better then 73lbs.<<<<

Also, 70 pounds is where a female should be not a male shepherd. That's what I think anyways. When I gets him his next lot of vaccinations I'll ask my vet.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Can you see his ribs? Or just feel them? As for a bitch weighing 70 pounds, my Leo is about 22.5 inches tall, and weighs maybe 52 pounds. My sister-in-laws bitch is maybe an inch taller, and easily 30 to 40 pounds heavier. My bitch looks and acts like a healthy, active dog. Her bitch resembles a sausage on toothpicks. :(
No can't see them, but can feel them. Sorry too hear about your friends dog! Is she a shepherd too? or a mix?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i've never neutered my dogs and there's never been a problem
with them. if i were going to neuter my dog would be 2 yrs old or
older. don't force weight on your dog. 85 lbs may not be
better than 70 lbs. your dog is probably the right weight.
he could be a smaller GSD but 70 lbs isn't that small.
I've never heard of a full-grown male shepherd weighting in at 70lbs before. But then again, he is my first shepherd! When it comes to neutering, I think I might weight till he's two years or older now. He's five months away, and that's no time when your working. ahha

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
I have a male Shiloh Shepherd which are typically larger and he is 85 pounds and I'm trying to take a couple off. He reached his adult weight when he was a year old. I neutered him at about 1.5 years. Try not to focus too much on what you think he should weigh. He looks great and 70 lbs is fine for a male. He may gain another 5 still, but I wouldn't actively try and put 10 lbs on him.

·
Registered
723 Posts
If you can't see the ribs, but can easily feel them, then he is probably the right weight. And yes, my sister-in-law's bitch is also a GSD. She was from a BYB via a pet shop. :( My Leontine is a rescue.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have a male Shiloh Shepherd which are typically larger and he is 85 pounds and I'm trying to take a couple off. He reached his adult weight when he was a year old. I neutered him at about 1.5 years. Try not to focus too much on what you think he should weigh. He looks great and 70 lbs is fine for a male. He may gain another 5 still, but I wouldn't actively try and put 10 lbs on him.
Will he still fill-out the same if I neutered him now? Gunner is quite tall, he's 28" tall from foot to shoulder. Which is why letting him gain a few pounds wouldn't hurt. But When I gets his shots, like I said previous too another person.. I'll ask my vet on what she think he weight should be.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If you can't see the ribs, but can easily feel them, then he is probably the right weight. And yes, my sister-in-law's bitch is also a GSD. She was from a BYB via a pet shop. :( My Leontine is a rescue.
She should be a least 50lbs too bad she weighs so little. No I can't see them..

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Will he still fill-out the same if I neutered him now? Gunner is quite tall, he's 28" tall from foot to shoulder. Which is why letting him gain a few pounds wouldn't hurt. But When I gets his shots, like I said previous too another person.. I'll ask my vet on what she think he weight should be.
Wow, he's a tall guy! What others said about not being able to see the ribs but being able to feel them is what I've always gone by. When my guy was 70 lbs he was underweight and when I felt him, I could really feel everything protruding, especially his spine. He had some gastro issues. Once we got his problems sorted out he went up to 81 pounds and for him that was perfect. I could still feel his bones but he felt more solid as opposed to fragile and gross. Now he's 85 lbs and I'm trying to take off a couple because it's good to keep them lean and he hasn't grown so I really don't think he needs the extra.

If you're not sure, I would just consult with your vet at your next visit and say you want to make sure he's a healthy weight and get his/her opinion on it.

Oh, I forgot to add that my guy did fill out more even after being neutered. His chest seemed to broaden and he appeared to get more muscular.

Gunner is gorgeous btw!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts