German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
@MineAreWorkingline you got me started on this by telling us you saved 50% at the market. I should not even start this just two days after Thanksgiving but I can’t help myself. I went to my market today and their meat case had a sign on it that said Reduced for Quick Sale. It was empty. All they had marked down were baked goods, like huge platters of cupcakes with little candy turkeys on them. Instead, I got what I needed and went to check out. Right next to the register was was a display of boxes of chocolate Twinkies with green mint filling and chocolate Snowballs. I only wanted one of each which wasn’t possible, so I didn’t buy any. I knew they would never taste as good as they look like they do.

Then I was in line behind a woman buying several enormous tubs of mustard. I noticed she was wearing a jacket with the logo of the best hamburger stand in the city. I asked if she worked there and of course she did. Then I wanted a hamburger but they are at least 2,000 calories apiece, so I bought my low cal food and went home.

What foods are your guilty pleasures this time of year? Do you buy them or just window shop?

·
Super Moderator
4,592 Posts
my seasonal guilty pleasure is the kind of Eggnog that I can pick up at our local wine shoppe. And some spiced wind from West Virginia that I drink warm in a small mug.

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
Eggnog! Yes! Guilty and I drank the whole thing! And the spinach and cheese ravioli I got on sale.... a little melted butter and some parmesan cheese.....hmmm.

And you are right. Those goodies look good but the taste never measures up. Why is that?

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
President's Choice (a Loblaw's grocery store brand here in Canada) makes the word's best eggnog. It's even better when you add a jigger of Irish Mist or Glayva liqueur!

With the cost of these two liquers, especially the Glayva, this is definitely a rare treat. And the eggnog is ONLY available during the holidays. And yeah, it's definitely not good for the waistline...:p

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have a not so secret place to shop. If you are lucky enough to have access to a Trader Joe’s, they sell real chocolate, eggnog at the holidays and unique food you can’t find all together in other stores.

·
Registered
7,344 Posts
We go pick out a Xmas tree and head over to the local bakery it is a tradition I have visited that bakery more then once a year of course but it is the most special time of year. I made turkey burgers the other night. I swear the dogs went mad and thought they were for them. MAx was sitting near the oven during and after they cooked. I can’t imagine feeding raw all the time lol and yes my lines in feeding blurred not sure what he was thinking that was for him. Luna went cuckoo to they really though those turkey burgers were for them. Lately has a meal for ourselves we have been eating more of those impossible and beyond burgers. I took a snap shot of him from the couch sitting at the oven - he does not do this or ever have done this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2,399 Posts
White wine and buying & reading used (paper) books.

I know e-books on kindle/phone/iPad are cheaper, and I usually hate things that pile up and accumulate.... but I love the experience of reading books. My guilty winter pleasure is ordering a half dozen used books online and then picking up a bottle of white wine on the day they get delivered.

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
Not food but little things can make me happy. The pups had stolen my duster and enjoyed it so much I let them have it. They are really getting some mileage out of it too!

I ran to the Dollar store today for a couple of items. I saw Mr Clean dusters for $3. I took one to replace the one that they stole, debated whether to buy an extra one for them, but decided against it.

When I was checking out, the cashier said that she did not know where to put the dusters when she was stocking the shelves as they were on sale for $0.70!!! I said hold my order and I ran back and grabbed the rest of them! That should keep the pups busy for awhile.

·
Registered
960 Posts
My guilty pleasure is dark chocolate. Some always finds its way into my cart, but I tell itself it's a little tip for doing the grocery shopping. :)

My summertime guilty pleasure is Perrier and Pellegrino. It's pricey, but there's nothing like taking a chilled Perrier or Pellegrino limonade out of the fridge on a hot muggy day!

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Not food but little things can make me happy. The pups had stolen my duster and enjoyed it so much I let them have it. They are really getting some mileage out of it too!

I ran to the Dollar store today for a couple of items. I saw Mr Clean dusters for $3. I took one to replace the one that they stole, debated whether to buy an extra one for them, but decided against it.

When I was checking out, the cashier said that she did not know where to put the dusters when she was stocking the shelves as they were on sale for $0.70!!! I said hold my order and I ran back and grabbed the rest of them! That should keep the pups busy for awhile.
I have a real feather duster I got from a specialty cleaning store that my dogs are convinced is their toy. I can’t use it when they are in the room unless I am on them to sit and stay. It’s a good proofing distraction.

·
Registered
7,344 Posts
Dusters will never be my guilty pleasure lol maybe Max’s- swifter dusters. For the time we had a cleaning woman over who became the family friend, dog sitter and a home to one of the feral kittens we took in. max would steal her duster every chance he could. He would stick his big head In her bag and looked for the duster the minute she walked in the door.

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I don’t get mine out often enough or they would not be such a novelty. I agree, a Swiffer is not a real duster. A real one has bird feathers. Mine think it’s a flirt pole, although I never had one for them.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts