German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dog eats her kibble but not with excitement, I've tried lots of different kibble and no difference. She loves canned food but its too darn expressive for us to buy at the moment. We only live once and and we as humans enjoy our food, so shouldn't our dogs LOVE their meals also? Anyone else feel bad about feeding their dogs dry food?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
No - they are dogs. They enjoy certain food more than others, but they are utimately just fortunate to have a home and regular meals. The lives of *most* dogs in the world are not so pampered - those dogs would be happy to have a meal period.

It is cheaper to make wet food at home. Find clearance special beef at the grocer, chop it up, throw it in a pot with some water, add some frozen veg (no corn), cook sufficiently, and feed that on top of kibble. Change meats and ingredients - good variety.

Throw beef bones in a pot, add veg, cook on low heat overnight, the marrow/fat/bone matter will congeal into a thick stew type concoction, remove bones - good topper and great nutrients.

Pressure cook a chicken with veg, sweet potato, or rice - cook really well till it turns into a thick mash. A big hit

·
Registered
9,713 Posts
I feel more guilty regarding him not having a job or not being a working dog than what he is fed.

Sometimes he could care less even about the raw food I give him. What he wants do is work. Trying to do more of that for him.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
my dog eats his kibble with enthusiasm. i top his kibble
with a variety of things. when i feed him his kibble
with warm water and no toppings he still shows enthusiasm
when he eats.

·
Registered
766 Posts
No guilt. I give him the best I can afford and he gets fruits/veggies and RMB occasionally. :) He loves his kibble too and gets super happy at breakfast and dinner.

·
Registered
9,713 Posts
I had a small dog that lived to 18 1/2 on kibble.
If it is decent kibble, I don't think anyone should feel guilty for what they feed.
Unless it is Ol' Roy.:D

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
I agree with Sunflowers - I'd feel guilty if the kibble was garbage. I looked at the ingredients of a bag yesterday, after I'd purchased my regular kibble at the pet store. This grocery store brand was in a bit bigger bag, and 1/5 the price. First ingredient was corn, then wheat shorts (?), then another filler, and the 4th ingredient was "meat meal." My puppy probably would rather have real meat instead of the kibble I feed him, just like I'd rather eat a bbq'ed steak every day too. Unfortunately for us that's not happening any time soon, unless I win the lottery.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
My dogs love everything, including their kibble! Nikon trains for kibble (instead of treats), tracks for kibble, etc. He also gets a variety of human grade raw and table scraps, but his food drive for plain kibble is no more or less.

·
Registered
18 Posts
A good quality dry kibble in my opinion is fine, as long as you supplement with vitamin B-12 and omega 3 oils. I doesn't hurt to give a home made stew as a topper. I always soak the kibble for awhile in warm water first as they need the liquid to properly digest the dry kibble.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
no guilt here. Shasta eats pretty much whatever you put in her bowl and is enthusiastic about it.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I couldn't imagine feeding Niko dry kibble, I wouldn't want to eat a bowl of dry cereal every day of my life.

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
No guilt here. My dog eats it with gusto. I buy a good quality food.
My bigger guilt is that I can't be out in the woods with him all day every day.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
I feel guilty about leaving Lisl in her crate most of the day.

She eats well. She likes her kibble and it gets topped sometimes with gravy, or meat drippings, or whatever I might be eating. She might get a piece of fish or a chicken strip (that she didn't steal), or some apple, or peanut butter.

She eats a lot better than most children living in Third World countries.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Jazz would eat garbage and cat poop if I let her, so no, I don't feel the slightest bit guilty about feeding her a good quality kibble. Of course, she also gets salmon oil, pumpkin, and a couple spoonfuls of good quality canned food with each meal as well, so she doesn't just eat kibble, but if I had to cut out the toppers and just give her kibble I still would feed it without guilt.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts