German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Due to horrible unexpected events that I don’t want to go into right now, I recently lost my 6 year old GSD, Gabe.

I have started looking for another pack member, and yesterday I went to look at the shelter - someone brought in a box of stray puppies that they are calling “shepherd mixes”. They are 7 weeks old.

I am interested in the black one - my one concern is that it might end up being very small - the shelter doesn’t have a weight on any of the pups. When I asked about adult size, the worker just shrugged and said “German shepherds get big.” - yeah I know they do, but I’m trying to find out about this guy.

Any guesses at what size these little guys might reach? (I know it’s hard at this age and with limited information)

Or thoughts about other breed influences that might suggest size?

I’d be disappointed if he turned out to be tiny.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
Since you have no idea what type of mix they are, but would be disappointed with a smaller dog, just pass. Get a dog whose heritage is known...

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
i don't see GSD mix -- I see hound type -- beagle , hunting hound

important to consider if you are expecting GSD type behaviour - more important than size

antoher thing to consider if this was from a roaming female meeting up with roaming males , the litter
could be sired by several males .

one could have been a houndy dog , one could have been a labradoodle.

·
Registered
10,810 Posts
A client of mine had a Bloodhound X Black lab cross from known, purebred parents. If you had seen that dog in a shelter you would have sworn it was a purebred Lab. But it was all Bloodhound in her behavior. What a surprise if you had expected taking home a Lab.
Once a trainer said, "If you like a GSD, do not go for a GSD mix as you will always be eyeing the purebred GSD".

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
If size is really that important to you, you should pass on this puppy. You should pass on any puppy that isn't purebred. Get an adult instead. That way you know what you're getting beforehand. Mixed puppies are completely unpredictable, and if you want predictable, get a purebred or an adult mix. If you do decide that you can live with a possibly small dog, get the puppy! He is cute.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i don't see GSD mix -- I see hound type -- beagle , hunting hound
one could have been a houndy dog , one could have been a labradoodle.
That would make sense...I just moved to this area and there seems to be an unusually high number of hounds. I’ve seen several Black and Tan hounds, bloodhounds, etc.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts