German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did you guess the neighbor who shot Stosh?? You're right! He's a plumber and he told my husband that if we ever needed plumbing work done on our house to call him. The clothes and dish washer have been backing up so my husband called him and here he is snaking out our drains!!

When he got here, Stosh was barking and bouncing around so he asked how Stosh was and I let him out so he could see him. Stosh was friendly, sniffed him all over, wagged his tail so he obviously didn't know him. I showed him where the bullet exited and told him about the nerve damage and all the treatment we have to do. He mostly wanted to know if Stosh could still see. He said "I was just trying to scare him off and wouldn't you know with my luck I hit him". I let that go by. He petted Stosh, said how beautiful he is and that he's been worried sick about him. The guy hasn't looked me in the eye- he told my husband he just can't. At least he's keeping his word and if he cleans out all our weird complicated plumbing I'll be happy. It was really strange to see him petting Stosh.

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
GOOD FOR YOU! Love that he's now met Stosh so will be a better neighbor!

Nice of him to offer for all the plumbing work too....

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Being able to forgive and be the better person says volumes about you and your husband! Glad your neighbor is trying to make amends.

·
Registered
330 Posts
You are a far better person than I could be. I don't know that I could do that. Glad to see he got to see/hear about the damage he cause though. Prolly feels itty bitty right now.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
My guess is that you guys are doing more to keep him from ever making that stupid mistake again then any Judge could ever do.
Sometimes justice comes in many forms.

Good for you.

·
Super Moderator
16,941 Posts
Wow, that is weird and wonderful all at the same time! I'm glad you let that comment pass - if he was just trying to scare him off, he would have been shooting into the air, not AT Stosh!

He really, truly sounds sorry for his lack of judgement . . . I am impressed too with your inner strength and willingness to forgive and not hold a grudge - you humble us all!

(And I'd milk the free plumbing offer for all I could! ;) )

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't think I forgive him but he's trying to make it up in some way. He offered to pay the vet bills the first time my husband talked to him, but my husband said he didn't want a dime of his money. He thought it was too easy a way for the guy to feel better and he wanted him to feel really bad. So we're not THAT nice. But we didn't want the incident to escalate and have the guy retaliate in some way, like killing Stosh. So in the end Stosh is going to be ok, the guy feels like a big jerk, got a chance to redeem himself and learned a lesson--he says he'll never shoot anything again.

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
That is very impressive on your part.

I agree that the way you're handling it is probably doing more "good" on him feeling like his needs to seek redemption for his actions than being horrible and nasty to him. It sounds like he knows how horrible his actions are.

I think the comment was his way of letting you know that he realizes how foolish he was. I don't think there is a point in nitpicking it. Shooting at anything other than a near verticle angle could have resulted in a 2 year old kid 400 yards down the road getting hit by a bullet, so it's really one of those things that you can't dwell on what his true intentions were when shooting into the woods by his comment.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Well that's still better than me, I'd have ended up in jail for going after him if he did that to Rem, I think! But I think it's really good that you didn't let him off the hook and instead are making him realize the magnitude of his actions - he SHOULD feel bad and learn to act with more caution and restraint in the future, and he should be seeing what his actions have done, and how personable the dog really is. That's actually the best part, that Stosh is so friendly to him - he can see how great the dog is, and that'll make him feel even worse about it.

And getting down and doing work is a better way to repay someone than just handing some cash out of your pocket, he can think about it all while he's doing it! I hope he is more careful with his gun in the future so that no innocent people or children are ever harmed!

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh here's the best part-- we have a neighborhood newsletter that goes to every resident and it just got hand delivered. My other neighbor wrote this short piece:

"In December, an unfortunate incident occurred, stemming from a resident mistaking a pet dog for a wolf. The people feeling threatened shot the dog, which caused extensive and ongoing treatment by its owners.

Even though we are permitted to use firearms for protection of person or property, it would behoove each of us to be very careful and cautious in acting on this privilege. The possibilities for disastrous outcomes are too serious for us to treat them lightly."

So after the guy gets through cleaning out our drains, he gets to read this. Perfect timing!

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
Oh here's the best part-- we have a neighborhood newsletter that goes to every resident and it just got hand delivered. My other neighbor wrote this short piece:

"In December, an unfortunate incident occurred, stemming from a resident mistaking a pet dog for a wolf. The people feeling threatened shot the dog, which caused extensive and ongoing treatment by its owners.

Even though we are permitted to use firearms for protection of person or property, it would behoove each of us to be very careful and cautious in acting on this privilege. The possibilities for disastrous outcomes are too serious for us to treat them lightly."

So after the guy gets through cleaning out our drains, he gets to read this. Perfect timing!
Poetic justice!

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Oh, I like the newsletter! That's fantastic (only could have been better if they had named names, but likely gossip has already spread the news). I'm glad you are letting him work on your plumbing. He deserves some type of penance.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
You and your husband are truly magnificent people. I don't know if I could have been that nice. If someone hurts my dogs I go all Momma bear on them just like I would for hurting my daughter (who is now 22). It's great that you were able to let him in and have him see the damage he did and hear about the vet work. I hope he sticks to what he says and never shoots without being sure again.

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
Funny choice of words ....Just HIS luck that he shot the dog. How about STOSH's luck, the idiot?!

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Oh yeah, that sentence had so many things wrong with it-- but I knew if I said one thing, I'd still be there lecturing him. And I really really need to do some laundry

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
I guess mister trigger happy didn't bring his gun,lol I'm glad the guy realized he was a doofus and is being a good neighbor. The whole thing was so sad but being he is your neighbor it's good the two of you are on good terms. It's also good Stosh was friendly with him and didn't recognize him as the man who shot him:)

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
well he would be my plumber for LIFE and FREE to !:)

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Funny, our last name is Plummer-- but it seems we now have a free plumber for life!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts