German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
At this age, it could also be a transitional fear period. What you do now could either exascerbate or extinguish the behavior. I would look at Patricia McConnell's pamphlet "The Cautious Canine" for some tips. Your 17 year old (particularly if she's going to be the responsible party while you're gone) should get into some training classes with Bear so she learns how to communicated effectively with him and he learns to have some respect for her.

Also, since you're not home, are you sure that the teenagers aren't doing something to taunt or encourage this behavior? Some of them think it's "funny" to do stupid things like make faces through the window until the dog reacts, etc. Remember your teenager's friends and Bear are emotionally about the same age.... stupid, reactive, hormonal and generally not in their right minds. (I know whereof I speak ... my youngest just turned 19)

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.