German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought maybe a blanket back, but someone said bi-color? Bi-color is usually working lines? He is on the high energy side, but I kinda expected that since he has been in a cage for over two months. He is settling in much better today and he is finally laying down more. When he barks at the cats it sounds like he wants to kill them, but he is fine with them if they let him smell them. He is very gentle when he takes food and he LOVES kids. He has already attached himself, its like he's always been here.

http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/images/attach/jpg.gif
http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/images/attach/jpg.gif

Attachments

·
Registered
9,723 Posts
He is not bicolor.
He is very beautiful.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
I'm going to guess ... working lines but I gotta tell you I saw some ASL dogs at the show yesterday that I thought for sure had some DDR in them. Moderate angulation, darker pigment and nice bone.

I will say he's from very 'handsome' lines tho! Good looking boy and congrats!

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He is not bicolor.
He is very beautiful.
Blanket back right? This is what I originally thought but someone else thought different.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Blanket. He looks young, may still lighten up some as he gets older.
They say he just turned one, but I'm almost thinking even younger because of how he acts. How old are they when they get adult teeth? He is very playful and today we are getting so much better with the cats. He is learning that he can go by them if he doesn't bark. His poop is starting to form too..Yay:)

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Blanket back.

Adult incisors and canine teeth come in at 4-6 months, molars and premolars at 6-9 months.

Where did you get him? I got my blanket back out of the newspaper, I call him "American pet lines" :p who knows whats in there!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I got him from the shelter. He has a very high drive..Can American Lines have a pretty high drive? He is a herder, goes right for the back of the legs on my other GSD. It doesn't matter what he is, I would like to try different things with him to see what he can do.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
I have not seen Pure american lines with super high drives but ive seen insane over the top BYB dogs that were mixed with a lot of american lines. But they arent the same focus drive as the pure working line its all scattered all over the place from what i saw. I think with BYB you can get anything. After u bond maybe you can take him to a club and see what he likes to do, he is very nice looking. I love his color and body. Looks like he has nice teeth also.

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have not seen Pure american lines with super high drives but ive seen insane over the top BYB dogs that were mixed with a lot of american lines. But they arent the same focus drive as the pure working line its all scattered all over the place from what i saw. I think with BYB you can get anything. After u bond maybe you can take him to a club and see what he likes to do, he is very nice looking. I love his color and body. Looks like he has nice teeth also.
He has a great bite on the sleeve and he is strong. He sits in front of it and barks...reminds me of all the videos I have watched of bitework. I will be trying agility with him to. He isn't afraid of anything, very confident, so I think he will do well in a couple areas.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Handsome blanket back. If you look at Cheryl Goede's dog Lexi from the GSD community, Lexi is a bi-color. Also go look at Dollar from Crooked Creek Ranch. He's a bi-color.

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
He's a stunning dog - nice find at the shelter! Congrats to you both and hope the pack enjoys him!

But I wouldn't be doing any stuff with a bite sleeve or agitation of a dog just out of a shelter - kind of the antithesis of some of the thinking in the 2 week shutdown. Kind of like offering to fistfight on a first date.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
He's a stunning dog - nice find at the shelter! Congrats to you both and hope the pack enjoys him!

But I wouldn't be doing any stuff with a bite sleeve or agitation of a dog just out of a shelter - kind of the antithesis of some of the thinking in the 2 week shutdown. Kind of like offering to fistfight on a first date.
As far as the sleeve, its made of jute, but more of a tug and he grabbed it when my son was working with the other dog and that was only one time and when it was taken away he stood in front of it and barked, he liked it, but I won't be doing that with him until he is done with obedience training, which starts in a couple weeks. I do have to say he is VERY confident and he has made himself completely at home and this was immediate. As soon as I seen him I knew I had to have him and I really did not give up until I had him. For the most part they are all getting along. He is not that big, but he is big enough and he is very rough. The oldest girl has already put him in his place and he doesn't bother with her at all. The golden also put him in his place, but Midnite likes him and is always sleeping right by him or next to him. Now Robyn the GSD goes back and forth. She can dish it out, but doesn't like it when he gets rougher, she wants to play a certain way and she corrects him when its not going her way and he backs down. They play tug really nice. He is very smart and just adorable. He is very loveable...he even kisses the dogs, which drives Robyn nuts. I think they will be fine. He did manage to open the crate last night and he ran right to my room. We got him back in there and my son slept on the floor next to his crate. Today he has gone into his crate on his own to lay down. The cats are a bigger issue, he tries really hard to ignore them and he does most of the time, we have to get it to all of the time. He is somewhat reactive to dogs outside of the home...he is fine with some and other ones it sounds like he wants to kill them. I'm not pushing anything, so in about a week I will start taking him out and about and working with distractions. He is very focused. I can't have him reactive to other dogs and he will understand that eventually.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
He's a really handsome guy! Congrats! :)

·
Registered
112 Posts
He looks in color like my girl and she is working East German Czech lines....I have been told in person she is a bi color and also told she is a black and tan. I think she is just perfect the way she is!!!

I love your dog, he's gorgeous, really nice type!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts