1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
5,818 Posts
My Shepherd mix is almost 75% German Shepherd. Neither of her parents were purebred GSD. She looks GSD. Had the Embark DNA test done.

Are both of Eagan's parents mixes? Are you sure there is no GSD in the mix? I see some hound.

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My Shepherd mix is almost 75% German Shepherd. Neither of her parents were purebred GSD. She looks GSD. Had the Embark DNA test done.

Are both of Eagan's parents mixes? Are you sure there is no GSD in the mix? I see some hound.
Hound is correct - she is 1/2 basset hound! I am very impressed you caught that! The second half is the real doozy, though. Wait 'til you hear that part!

·
Super Moderator
8,677 Posts
Beagle x Cattle Dog... or a larger hound type + corgi

Reactions: MineAreWorkingline

·
Registered
850 Posts
There are a lot of people that don't realize there can be more than one father in a litter. Along with that as others said if the parents are both mixed it can be iffy. Somebody in a group I'm in posted a pic of a dog they want to stud and say it's an Aussie/border collie, bit it looks more like a Rottweiler/husky mix or something those lines. Big blocky head, and wrong colors for Aussie/bc.

As far as her. Maybe a kelpie/herding breed mix combined with the hound? Could always be a few other breeds.
That said her coloration and body shape/fur really reminds me of GSD markings not the hound saddle although they can be similar.

·
Registered
5,818 Posts
Are you sure one of Eagan's parents is PB basset and the other parent is PB something else? With rescues, that is always iffy.

I have a hound mix. Judging from his appearance and personality, I would have sworn he was beagle and JRT. I was absolutely shocked, when his DNA results came back. No JRT whatsoever. Half beagle plus 3 other breeds I never saw coming.

A DNA test is the only way to know for sure. I used Embark twice and was very happy with the results.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Are you sure one of Eagan's parents is PB basset and the other parent is PB something else? With rescues, that is always iffy.

I have a hound mix. Judging from his appearance and personality, I would have sworn he was beagle and JRT. I was absolutely shocked, when his DNA results came back. No JRT whatsoever. Half beagle plus 3 other breeds I never saw coming.

A DNA test is the only way to know for sure. I used Embark twice and was very happy with the results.
I'm sure they've gotten better as time goes on but those tests aren't entirely accurate. With breed populations being different and how traits are inherited and then sequenced and breeds with shared ancestry it can get a bit muddled.

There have been a lot of people sending in known mixes and primary breeds or the breed they behave the most like are not identified.

I think they're a good basis and fun for sure but I'd be reluctant to treat them as a definitive answer.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Boxer? Hard to say with only head shots and not a good side view of the dog standing. Head reminds me a bit of pug mixes.

·
Super Moderator
8,677 Posts
ahem, just for funsies guys!

·
Registered
10,910 Posts
I will only believe the Basset part if you have seen the Basset as the mother, nursing your pup, with your own eyes.

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ahem, just for funsies guys!
Haha, oh my gosh, indeed... everyone got very serious all of the sudden!

The rescue we got Eagan from actually birthed her from the pure Basset Hound momma. They say the only possible dad is... get this... a pure POMERANIAN!

You can hear the hound when she barks and howls, and she has a long body with short legs (not extreme, but it's there). She's only about 40lbs (she's a lot smaller than she looks in the pics). I would love to try a DNA test on her, though, as I am not at all convinced she doesn't have it in her. I think the rescue somehow got it wrong.

Was interesting to hear your guesses!

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
I just about spit apple ale all over my keyboard and monitor. Pomeranian?!? :silly:

Would have liked to have seen the rest of the pups from THAT pairing! Methinks the basset hound might have been a little....promiscuous. :p

Reactions: wolfy dog

·
Registered
5,818 Posts
I'm sure they've gotten better as time goes on but those tests aren't entirely accurate. With breed populations being different and how traits are inherited and then sequenced and breeds with shared ancestry it can get a bit muddled.

There have been a lot of people sending in known mixes and primary breeds or the breed they behave the most like are not identified.

I think they're a good basis and fun for sure but I'd be reluctant to treat them as a definitive answer.
Embark is the most expensive and most accurate. I had my dogs tested about 10 months apart. There were advancements in those 10 months. Shelby is my GSD mix. Without testing, she is clearly mostly GSD. When I posted her pictures on the board, years ago, the consensus was that she was PB GSD. She wasn't.

Shelby, and her littermates were dumped in a KY shelter. They all looked alike, except 3 were stock coat and 3 were plush. They were all black with tan markings. According to Embark, she is 75% GSD and a small percentage of 2 other breeds. The other 2 breeds are black and tan dogs.

My hound mix, looks mostly beagle. Embark has his mother as PB beagle and his father as a beagle mixed with 3 other breeds.

Embark also tests for about 170 genetic conditions. In the 10 months between testing for my two dogs, Embark is testing for more conditions and can identify more dog breeds. While some conditions may not apply to our breed, DM was an important one for me. Shelby tested not at risk and/or a carrier for DM, as well as being completely clear and/or not at risk for all other conditions that Embark tests for.

My beagle mix only tested as a carrier for wide angle glaucoma, but not at risk. He is negative for all the other, many, eye related conditions beagles are prone to, as well as all the other conditions tested for by Embark.

Embark costs about $200.00, so I wouldn't do it for fun.

·
Super Moderator
8,677 Posts
Yeah, but Embark also assigned 46.2% of my friends dog to “supermutt”... duh, that’s why she bought the kit, LOL

Reactions: Sabis mom

·
Registered
5,818 Posts
Yeah, but Embark also assigned 46.2% of my friends dog to “supermutt”... duh, that’s why she bought the kit, LOL

Do you know what generation the Embark test was? Was it the most current available? Did they identify the other 53.8%?

I honestly don't understand genetics that well. I'd guess it would be difficult to identify, if the dog had no dominant breeds. The least amount of any breed identified in either of my dog's was 7.9% That dog was tested in 2018 and the other in 2019.

I can only speak for myself and my experience with Embark. I was pleased with the results. They definitely nailed the dominant breed, so I am pretty confident in their other findings.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Do you know what generation the Embark test was? Was it the most current available? Did they identify the other 53.8%?

I honestly don't understand genetics that well. I'd guess it would be difficult to identify, if the dog had no dominant breeds. The least amount of any breed identified in either of my dog's was 7.9% That dog was tested in 2018 and the other in 2019.

I can only speak for myself and my experience with Embark. I was pleased with the results. They definitely nailed the dominant breed, so I am pretty confident in their other findings.
I'm not knocking their health testing. Testing for genetic conditions that we know of specific conditions for is different. I wouldn't say that part is for fun it's good knowledge.

When I say for fun I mean the breed identification part. Like I said I'm sure they're making advancements and it's awesome they aced it with your dogs. But there is still a lot to learn and get better at so I'm just saying take it with a grain of salt because as of November 2018 they were still missidentifying breeds especially those with a lot of similarities. And I'm not surprised that puppies that ended up in shelter are some sort of mix. Some mixes do strongly resemble one breed to the point you can't barely tell visually especially if the breeds mixed are similar. There are also so many shady people definitely registering mixed breeds as purebreds so there are likely a lot of less than 100% 'purebreds'. But that's another source of possible skewed results for these tests. That is how they choose which markers go to which breeds.

·
Registered
5,818 Posts
I'm not knocking their health testing. Testing for genetic conditions that we know of specific conditions for is different. I wouldn't say that part is for fun it's good knowledge.

When I say for fun I mean the breed identification part. Like I said I'm sure they're making advancements and it's awesome they aced it with your dogs. But there is still a lot to learn and get better at so I'm just saying take it with a grain of salt because as of November 2018 they were still missidentifying breeds especially those with a lot of similarities. And I'm not surprised that puppies that ended up in shelter are some sort of mix. Some mixes do strongly resemble one breed to the point you can't barely tell visually especially if the breeds mixed are similar. There are also so many shady people definitely registering mixed breeds as purebreds so there are likely a lot of less than 100% 'purebreds'. But that's another source of possible skewed results for these tests. That is how they choose which markers go to which breeds.
I don't take it with a grain of salt. My results didn't come back 50% supermutt. The percentages of breeds given equaled 100%. The dominant breed I always thought my dogs were was confirmed. Both were shelter puppies. I never assumed them to be PB.

Most sites that rate these tests list Embark as the best. Most reviews are good. There have been vast improvements in the test. It is important to purchase the most advanced test and not an older version you find cheaper.
Don't want to do the test, don't.

Just sharing my experience, which was positive.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts