German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got home late and gsd did not give the normal maniac greeting, had to leave again and few hours when i got back home gsd hardly greeted me at all, did not want to play ball, started to worry. now late and only vet within 100+ miles was selfishly on leave to have a baby.

dog moped around house then in the middle of the night was scratching at door with foam on mouth, opened door and he could barely walk outside, in panic mode and went thru all the known bloat progress symptoms but did not fit dog, thought spider or snake which will mean dead dog soon enough but that did not quiet fit either as dog had been sluggish early on which would have meant dead by now, dog curled up with obvious pain in abdomen region. stayed with him all night as didn't think the 100 mile trip to vet was going to help.

sun comes up and dog gets ball and in perfect health.

any guess what could have caused this, long shot i know.

booked in for x-ray for blockage but from poop routines all good the vet ruled out a blockage and did not get x-rays. dog has been fine for over a week since???

·
Registered
27,254 Posts
Do you know if he was throwing up while you were gone? Was his poop firm/diarrhea?
Pancreatitis?

·
Banned
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
he was actually locked in the house and there was no evidence of throwing up, and def did not throw up in my presence. poops turned to soft serve ice cream breensih color but def NO watery black spray type poop.

i do feed my pups kibble for training treats and he stole a pocketful from the pocket of my training vest, not a particualry large amount but he is on straight RAW diet?

he also ate a banana - i am yet to look up safety of bananas for dogs but my pups love them and he ate one, any info on banana toxicity?

just want to know how i could have handled this better, all past tense now.

·
Banned
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
this aint cool, only check point 3 & 6, will buy a thermometer for future use tho. thanks for link;

What are the signs of pancreatitis?

The signs can vary from mild gastrointestinal upset to collapse and death. Most animals present with common gastrointestinal signs of upset, such as:
  • Vomiting
  • Not eating
  • Painful abdomen, hunched appearance (more common in dogs
  • Fever or below-normal body temperature
  • Diarrhea
  • Depression
  • Dehydration, evaluated by noting sunken eyes, dry mouth, and increased skin turgor (skin tents when pinched)

·
Registered
5,388 Posts
I am wondering if maybe a petite mal seizure or seizure of some type the barely able to get outside could also indicate some type incoordination from seizure

Any HW/flea prevention started recently?

·
Registered
5,388 Posts
EPA plans to develop more stringent testing and evaluation requirements for both existing and new products. EPA expects these steps will help prevent adverse reactions. In dogs and cats that can include skin effects, such as irritation, redness, or gastrointestinal problems that include vomiting or diarrhea, or effects to the nervous system, such as trembling, appearing depressed or seizures from pet spot-on products. Pets are more vulnerable to pesticides for several reasons. They walk through chemically-treated areas unknowingly, absorb pesticides through their mouth, nose, and eyes, and can absorb through their skin any powder that sticks to their fur.

Chihuahuas, shih tzus, miniature poodles, pomeranians and dachshunds had the most reported incidents, according to the EPA report. For products containing cyphenothrin, a synthetic pyrethroid and an endocrine disruptor, those breeds accounted for 33 percent of the reported problems. For products containing permethrin, shih tzus, bichon frise, chihuahuas, yorkshire terriers and maltese were involved in more than 25 percent of the incidents. K-9 Advantix for Dogs contains permethrin and some Sergeant’s products and Sentry’s Pro XFC contain cyphenothrin

Beyond Pesticides Daily News Blog Blog Archive Increase in Reported Incidents Prompts EPA to Review Pet Products

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
Might seem like a far stretch, but is your dog around any type of frogs? The frogs are out in full force and some can be poisonous.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The breeder our puppy came from is also a vet, and she recommended not using advantix. She said that she has had dogs come in showing poisoning symptoms from their monthly treatment, and that the pymethrin dosage in advantix is way higher than what we even try to spray on our lawns. Not trying to argue the use of advantix (I've used it in the past when we had a tick and flea issue in Florida), just a thought. Had you applied his dose close to his bad night?

·
Banned
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i'm guessing cane toad due to foam at mouth or the gut full of stolen kibble from my training vest. the advantix is worth looking into but my dogs have had it since pups and no reaction.

note; farm dogs that live get an immunity to ticks - we have paralysis ticks i think are unique here, shuts down whole nervous system and then the dog chokes to death, not pretty.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts