German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our female GSD is a year old. We crate trained her when she was little. She loves her kennel. Over time though, she has started guarding her kennel from other family dogs. If another dog walks past it, she runs over barking and lunging. We have taken her kennel away for long periods of time. And when we bring it back out, she can hardly wait to get in. Then right away goes after any dog that passes by. She is not aggressive normally to the other dogs. And she is not top dog, that is my older beagle.
We are adding another dog to the household, a male, who is actually her father. (He is a therapy dog and not aggressive).
We brought the kennel back out in case we have to separate them, but is it causing more problems? Floor space is tight to move her kennel completely away from other dogs. Any training advice?

·
Registered
5,814 Posts
She is resource guarding the crate. One of my dogs used to do that. You said space is tight, but it would be best to move the crate away from the other dogs - a room with a door. If that isn't possible, use it as needed. When the time comes that you don't need it, put it away. She can't guard what she doesn't have.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
I don't think you are going to be able to break her of this habit. It's instinctual to protect den space. I had a female GSD that was fine with strangers - would take treats from them, let them pet her. Put her back in my car, which she regarded as HER space...LOOK OUT!! The minute you put your hand out towards her, she would growl a warning.

Sorry, I really don't have any suggestions, except to maybe limit her use of the kennel by keeping the door closed.

·
Banned
1,255 Posts
I had a male Am Staff that did the same thing. We moved his crate into the spare room, and taught him to shut the bedroom door behind himself. He never got over it. He was a foster, so not knowing his history made it difficult to determine if he was crated with dogs is the same crate, and that’s what caused it, or just a random fluke. He didn’t guard anything else, toys, food, treats. Just his crate. He got along great with the other dogs, he just didn’t want them near when he was in his crate.

Sorry, I can’t offer any actual advice, just that others have been there before. He was never trained out of his issue, we just managed it by moving his crate and training him to shut the door. I eventually rehomed him to a couple that didn’t have any other pets in their home, and he still wanted to be in their room with the crate, with the ability to shut the door behind himself when he wanted a break.

Their crates are generally where they go to feel safe when at rest. He may feel threatened by the “alpha” in your home, and lashes out so he can rest comfortably knowing the dogs won’t come near him now that he does this. Just a thought.

·
Registered
5,368 Posts
Sabi did it as well. She wasn't aggressive about it, just really pushy. She liked to kick Bud out of his crate and take over after we took hers away. And she got herself stuck in a puppy crate trying to get in it.
I doubt you will break her of it. But I would correct it just the same. Lunging at other dogs is a problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts