German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 5 month white shepherd who is extremly intelligent and super clever by now.. my question is.. do the shepherds have natural instincs to be a gaurd dog or i will have to train him propertly or it just depense?? so far who ever tries to aproach our back yard gate he automatically starts growling but with now moovment and sometimes he barks if he gets to close and sometimes he just stays in his spot and watches what the person will do. do they know when to bark?growl? or just do nothing at all in a case where someone tries to aproach the house gate?? if training is provided what age do i have to start at? and if anyone can provide some tips on how to i would appreciate it gladly. Thank you all for the help :hug:

·
Registered
490 Posts
Good question. Many on here have told me they are acting in fear.. My pup is only 8 months but he sure doesnt back down to a possible threat..

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
Eventually, when their mind is mature enough, they will have that protective instinct. At 5 months old, it's not protection. Asking a 5 month old puppy to be protective of you is like asking a 8 year old kid to be protective. It's just not going to happen. Their minds are just not mature enough for it. They're just babies.

My advice to you is to keep socializing your dog. Let him experience new things and people on a daily basis. Have new people come into your house and let your dog feel safe and that he doesn't have to be scared of anything. Let him think the world is his playground and he has absolutely nothing to fear. Keep everything positive and fun.

Eventually his mind will mature and he will become an adult. By that time (which will probably take a couple years at least), that natural protective instinct will kick in. At 5 months old, your puppy is most likely acting out of fear.

·
Registered
9,025 Posts
At that age it is just a typical unsure puppy issue. This is when it is more important that you keep the socializing of your pup with all types of people up and if possible do even more. It is so very important to build his trust and confidence up in being around people so that when he is older he has a good base to know the difference between normal and something that needs a little more checking into.

·
Registered
959 Posts
It is so very important to build his trust and confidence up in being around people so that when he is older he has a good base to know the difference between normal and something that needs a little more checking into.
THIS.

Socializing the heck out of them at this age is so incredibly important. By doing that, your dog learns what is normal and what isn't. You don't want a dog that reacts like every thing is a threat when it isn't. That's just irritating...and dangerous.

I want a dog to know Grandma isn't a threat. But, hey, I like my Grandma...lol.

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
Thanks everyone for the answers!! i will keep on doing what TJ recommended thanks man.
Agree with TJ. My dog started barking at 5-6 months but only inside the house or yard. I just took it to be instinctual as in "it's what they do". Now I am starting to teach her to stop barking (16 months) and that is going pretty well. She looks at me like "hey, what's the problem, it was OK to bark until now"
I am glad when she barks and I am glad when she stops. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts