German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
273 Posts
You can simply teach your dog to bark on command, but make the command gaurd or something along those lines. The dog doesn't need to know why you are teaching it to bark on command.

· Registered
273 Posts
I agree with others that just the visual of a GSD is a deterrant. When I walk Nash around the city most people cross the road (although if they don't I always move to the grass and put him in a sit at heel to let them pass), usually telling me I have a good looking dog, but keeping their distance. What is funny is that Nash is a huge baby, if I were assaulted with him there he would probably just bark from a distance, maybe even run away. Lloyd, my black floppy eared mutt, no one is ever scared of but he is the one that while overly friendly with people, if you mess with one of his moms you will be taken down. Not something we ever taught him, and we have only seen it twice. Usually he loves everyone, once when someone approached me from behind and grabbed a hold of my arm (not sure if they didn't see the dog or what) and another when some very drunk men were approaching us saying some not so nice things. He freezes still and lets out a very scary sounding growl, staring. But will stay in a sit or down. That scared the **** out of them and they left.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.