German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
6,862 Posts
A dog trained in anything that shows aggression towards a human-including just putting on a show(barking, lunging, snarling) is no longer a pet. This animal is a PP dog and I hope you continue your training.
I really don't think thats true. It can still be a pet/companion. Meaning for show you are talking about Sch. right?

· Registered
6,862 Posts
I am not sure how to put this to make it make sense, but do you think that sometimes a dog can catch onto something or make it a learned behavior in regards to "guard" or "watch" or they just know something isn't right?

Molly is very good at catching onto things and notices changes in behavior or notices out of the ordinary almost instantly(never taught her that nor is she trained for any sort of protection). Tanner is good at this also. If the front door is open and Molly sees something suspicious she will just stand there with both ears alert and stare at whatever sets of her alarms. She doesn't bark, growl or make any noise unless the person gets within distance that makes her feel as if she is threatened, Tanner eventually notices or senses when this happens. Our screen door is hard to see through into the house when outside, so people can't see if there is a dog or not. So when Molly or Tanner bark is scares the heck out of the people(mostly those who don't know if there is a dog in the house.)

When I walk either Molly & Tanner and I see something or get a strange feeling, they(Molly or Tanner) will be walking a few ahead of me, but when they notice my behavior change they get closer, have their ears on "alert mode" and will turn them in each direction one after another and look around. Basically they go on alert. They also do this if they get a feeling of strangeness when out on walks. Once they feel its safe the get less tense but still on alert.

Never trained either dog to do that, nor have they been trained to do any sort of protection work. They just do it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.